creative christmas gift for under $10

tiffannny

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Bicycle Lane Tail Light
Riding a bicycle at night can be pretty dangerous, especially if there isnt a dedicated bike lane.

The Bicycle Lane Tail Light works to improve your safety by lighting up a virtual bike lane wherever you go. Just attach the device to the back of your bicycle and turn it on. The lasers grab the attention of car drivers passing by, and gives them a familiar boundary to avoid.
just $6.99 from loveislight.com

Kingsfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
" How-to" receipes on cards how to make tooth paste, soap, laundry soap etc for self-sufficiency many people don't know about any of this....or a zip loc bag of home made laundry soap....home canning item with a circle of cloth under ring.. emergency head lights $3 at harbour freight....children love these....large soap bar ... hope this helps

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Looks like this may have started out as a "Troll" .... but the idea is good!

When my kids were little they liked crafts. A couple of years I put together craft kits for them. I bought paints, glitter and glue but added all kids of "scrap craft" items. They got a big box of craft items for less than $10. They could make all kinds of tings from it all year. I didn't have a computer with internet then, but I copied ideas out of books for them. Now there is all kids of ideas on the net. they can find ideas for their box of goodies.

If there is someone that always wanted to learn a skill that you know how to do, you can give them the "basic tools" and offer lessons to go with it. For instances, someone wants to learn how to can. You can give them a few jars and some basic tools, then give them a lesson. Or if they would like to learn to knit, give them some needles and yarn, then teach them the basics.

If you know a "handy man" (or woman) how often do they have to run to the store for a few nails or screws? If you can find a "mixed bucket" of such things that could be good.

LOL one of my "balding" sons decided to shave his head.... I hate shaved heads! I'm going to take a stocking cap and add "hair" to it! hehehe... hope he wears it!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Gifts don't have to be expensive. One of my favorite gifts years ago was a crossword puzzle dictionary. It wasn't expensive, but I was thrilled w/it and used it often. Now if I get stuck, I just look it up on the internet.

For a horsey person: Horse treats, mane and tail detangler, vet wrap, saddle soap, etc are all great gifts.

For someone that likes to fish: Some new lures, new line for their reel, bobbers, snap swivels, weights, etc.

For someone that likes to garden: Garden gloves, seeds, hand tools, etc

You get the idea

One of the best ideas for a cheap gift is time. This is especially good for younger children and parents. Make up a "coupon" book. The coupons should be for things like having a tea party w/your daughter. Playing catch w/your son. Doing something for mom so she has a chance to relax, maybe baby sitting (w/out killing your siblings!) so she can go out and do something she likes to do. The possibilities are endless.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We weren't supposed to do gift exchange with brothers this year, but they changed their minds in the last two weeks, so we have a $20 limit.

I'm giving my SIL measuring cups and spoons since the set of cups she had she lost some of and she wants to learn to cook more. My brother gets a couple Carhartt shirts because I got them on sale at half the price they run where my brother lives. Had to buy extra so mom can buy a few off me to give to him and my dad.

Other brother gets some boxers because they have no Kmart over there to get the brand he likes. His wife is getting some glass storage containers because mom says they have nothing they can actually microwave leftovers in.

And then because I was giving a little gift anyway before they decided to do a small gift exchange, everyone gets a throw blanket because I caught them on sale for $6. So I went a little over but it's not bad.

We are better off right now than the rest of the family, which is a switcheroo for us. We don't have any kids or medical bills, so we try and help how we can.

Good thing there is no limit for the kids. I get to get whatever I want for them. Granted most of it is clothes, but they get at least one toy. My two nieces and my hubby's niece and nephew. I also bought a bunch of baby clothes for my SIL who is having a boy in February if I remember the date right. She just lost her job last month and has been really worried because she has no boy clothes and doesn't think they'll have enough. I know Mom got a bunch for her, as did her Mom, sister, and Aunt. She'll be just fine even if no one really has much money.

They tell me I'm bad because there isn't really anything I want. I asked for wooden spoons, pony tail holders, and open source white plates from walmart because they run $5 each there and I know my family all talks to each other, so if they each got me 2 I'd have enough for a new set.

My DH is much worse on what to buy for him. Told everyone to get him chocolate, or a box of ammo. I couldn't get anything out of him for what he wanted me to get him even.

jamesbishop911

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
How about give them a gift cards, many stores offering gift cards like Wal Mart. You can also give Make-up, you can several items of make up that can add up to $10. You can also get a make up pouch. Make up are often on sale at very low prices especially when the Christmas season is nearing. DVDs - Wal Mart has hundreds of DVDs that cost around 2-3 dollars. You can also give books, it can be expensive but there are plenty are worth less than $10. Find out what topic are they interested.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't do gift cards because I shop for gifts all year usually. I'm very good at getting stuff on sale and saving it. Gift cards seem so impersonal to me as well. The DVD idea is good. I have a friend that loves to get dvds. It's always older movies she's looking for so the walmart bin is great.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
a few years ago i gave each one of my adult(ish) daughters an index card box with a few of their favorite recipes written on index cards. every year i add cards to their collection. and they have added a few as well. when they asked me what recipes they were going to get this year, i told them i forgot about it-so they went and got me index cards!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
LOL. That's great. A friend of mine told her mom she wanted a notebook with all her recipes she makes regularly in it.

Latest posts