Cucumbers...why do I sometimes get one that SUPER BITTER!?

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have one little plant, of cucumbers. Every once in a while I get one that is so bitter, I can't eat it. It taste like ... well... I don't know...just bitter. :sick I pick them all just about the same size...so size can't be it....and I use them as fast as I can pick them, so they are not in the fridge more than a day. Any one have an idea why??

S

sunsaver

Hot weather, drought and lack of even watering cause the plant stress, and it responds by making the fruit more bitter. Theres a chemical in the skin that causes the bitter flavor, and it's usually stronger at the ends of the cucumber. You can peel the skin with a sharp knife or veggie peeler. Try growing bitter free varieties like "Sweet Success" hybrid.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I agree, and peel them with a little thicker peel, too.
My bud Carla, swears that if you get a bitter one, slice it and soak in salt water for a while. Then drain and rinse well, put 'em in some vinegar water with onions (or whatever you like) and they won't taste bitter.
I'm a cukes and cream kind of gal, so I've never done this. If it's nasty bitter, I let the hens have it.

S

sunsaver

I just slice the cukes in thin slices, mix the water and vinegar with a dash of salt and pepper and onion slices, and let them soak for an hour or two in the ice box. It makes them tasty!

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I had a few bitter cukes just yesterday morning. I peeled and sliced them, put them in water, vinegar, sugar, and onions in the 'frige all day. They were great with supper last night.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thank you for all the suggestions. I just threw it to the animals...they don't seem to mind. Sometimes I put slices in a mix of vinegar, sugar, and salad dressing....let them sit for a few hrs in the fridge. Yumm.....