Cute hen houses

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have new chicks on order, ready to pick up at the end of the month. (I feel like a slacker compared to so many of you - I have 3 hens, and am getting a grand total of ... 3 more chicks! :lol: I have space issues, and don't really need a huge number of eggs.) So, two of the new ones are a pair of Barnevelders, and I thought to look up their ancestral home, Barneveld in the Netherlands. And this is one site that google brought up: http://jftdesign-test.com/barneveld.html. The hen houses are so cute! Not large, but I thought you might also enjoy seeing them. They don't say what the prices are, and they are probably way too expensive, but I have bookmarked them for ideas the next time I need to build a coop.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think it's cute...

None of the boards look huge, and since I'm in the middle of building a chicken coop out of some free pallets I was looking at it from that standpoint... I bet you could build a coop out of pallets that looked just like that (or at least pretty close)....

I wonder how much they charge for them?

I'm getting 6 chicks, only because that's the minimum order at the feed store... If I had a choice I would be getting 3 or 4... I have the same issues as you, space and no need for tons of eggs... But I do also have 25 meaties on order :)

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Very cute!

By the way I started with 6 (since there are 6 of us) and we now have 3. One was a roo and had to go, one became a coyote breakfat and one got sick and died.

I would love to get a few more but I think a move is eminent. Enjoy your new chicks!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Dace said:
Very cute!

By the way I started with 6 (since there are 6 of us) and we now have 3. One was a roo and had to go, one became a coyote breakfat and one got sick and died.

I would love to get a few more but I think a move is eminent. Enjoy your new chicks!
Dace, I also started with 6. One was a rooster, but that was planned :). Attrition, in the form of the neighbour's dog, has brought the number down to 3. My coop has room for a maximum of 8 (at 4 sq. ft. per chicken). In a year or two I will want new ones to "replace" the older ones, but my older girls will not be retiring to the soup pot (I know, I'm a wimp :)), and the neighbour has taken stronger measures to confine her dog, so I need to leave room for at least 2 more - don't want to adopt just one lone chick in a couple of years! So 3 it is, this time ... 2 Barnevelders (pullet and cockerel), and an EE.

And will the possible move give you the space for new ones? Sorry, maybe I should go read your journal :lol:.

dntd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I currently have 3 bantoms and love them:) I have a chick order coming in two weeks and I'm getting 16 chicks, really only want 6-8 so the extras are either going to freezer camp or sold. I'm getting plymoth rock and some sex link mixes that are supposed to be quite. My biggest issue is noise so the hens I'm getting are supposed to be really quite. Some houses are so cute I am going to end up building a simple house that looks like a rabbot hutch justy bigger will have a nice big run though.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Uhhh, That looks kinda familiar. :D They have changed the roof line a bit but still the same principals. I like the scalloped edging.

g