Dairy Goats?

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wolf-Kim said:
lupinfarm said:
Look at their faces and tell me they're a pain! Do it! Doooooooo it!

http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/ac122/lupinfarm/Misc Farm Photos/IMG_0213.jpg
They look like trouble to me!! That's why they are in maximum security prison! Just look at those cute and innocent faces! They say to me "open the gate, I dare you" :lol: :gig :lol:

They are terribly cute trouble makers. :)
Hey now, lol, they're in maximum security because their pen isn't finished. They couldn't even figure out how to get under a fence where the bottom rail is 2ft from the ground LOL

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Before I had goats I could imagine raising them to eat. However now that I have my three, I could not possibly imagine eating their offspring. Call me a city girl, but I'm just too soft hearted to kill and eat anything that cute.

I hope to wether my male offspring and sell them as brush eaters. I hope it works out! Maybe that is wishful thinking, but if someone else ate my baby I raised I would not feel terrible about it, I just couldn't do that myself. But before I owned them I did not possibly imagine how cute and loving they would be.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
me too savingdogs!

my neighbour is one of those people who believes that every animal should be able to be eaten when it has served its purpose. They keep their chickens for a year then slaughter, etc. They're from rural portugal.

When I got Cissy and Mione Isadore goes to me in his thick portuguese accent... "are you going to eat them?"

I was horrified! lol

peachykeen

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I am going to be getting a goat this summer, two or more actually. Hopefully a whole herd. To cut out milk costs, and butter/cheese costs (you can make butter with goats milk, just takes longer) is a huge cost savings! Not even factoring in how awesome it is to have your own goats milk!!

And you can breed your dairy goats to Boers and get some nice meat goats. In my area, goat meat is worth a lot.

The Vail Benton's

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We like goat meat alot (had a nice shoulder roast for dinner last night), however, we have not yet had one of our own to butcher yet and I admit, it will not be easy - I'm already having second thoughts about that darn pig we bought a few weeks ago :hide
Fortunately, DH has the fortitude to do what needs to be done (my hero :love)and I may just have to let the meat sit in the freezer for awhile and let the memory fade a bit. I do have a sentimentel side, but I also try to be practical & realistic. I made sure we at least enjoyed Chevon before we bred our doe. As much as we like goats milk, I would not have had Emmie bred if we wouldn't use the meat from any bucklings we wind up with. Whethers are a dime a dozen on craigslist in our area. I harbor no illusions that I will have buyers for my boys.