Dairy Industry Woes

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Thats scary. Thanks for posting that link. Just one more argument for me and my future goat.

Reaction score
Good thing my boy is going to college in the fall. He goes through 3 gallons a week all by himself.

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If milk is like bread, the farmers share in the price at the grocery store is very minimal. Several years ago the farmer's share of a loaf of bread was around 2. I would bet that today it is less than 10. So when the price for the farmer goes down, it means very little to us who buy the finished products at the store. The cost of these grocery store items is effected mostly by processing, transportation of the product, handling, and such as that.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yay for my goatie-girls turning weeds and brush into lovely, creamy milk! Yup, I'm goating.....er......gloating! :cool:

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Yep, it's the farmers that are getting the short end of the stick.

The price that the farmers are getting for their milk has tanked, but the average price per gallon retail has only dropped by about 13 cents. With some estimates of 25% of the dairy farmers going bust, there will be a decrease in the supply and another reason for the processors to raise the price.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
This explains the drop in heavy cream prices. It went from $3.89 a quart to $2.76.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Dairies up here are going out of business in droves. Last year's gas prices pushed a lot of them over. Dairying used to be Vermont's primary product.

I am going to have to get myself on a farmer's raw milk list- that supports the cows better than selling for the current bulk prices.