Daydreaming while waiting impatiently!

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
sounds like your little part of the world is coming together. i envy you the yoga classes. i have to drive 45 mins to get to a class. don't mind the time as much as the expense of the gas.
@Britesea the heifer project has been one of my Christmas traditions for years. i give every one in my family a card telling them what kind of animal 'they' donated. everyone loves it except one niece (she is a spoiled selfish brat aged 42) want to guess what kind of animal she donated... the heifer ranch is a couple of hours from here. check them out on the web.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Haha! I forgot I have a journal! Lots of updates!

"Baby" just turned 2 years old this week! I bet he's going to be wicked smart! He is obsessed with nature videos about birds, especially eagles and owls. He loves to be outside!

DS10 is.... 10. Need I say more? :gig

I don't have rabbits anymore. I didn't get a litter out of them for over a year and gave up. DH later discovered a gigantic rat nest kitty corner to the rabbit pens. We think rats were eating newborn kits. I observed breeding, palpated to confirm pregnancies, would go out to find the rabbits acting strange, a nest, and the momma rabbit with milk .... no babies.

Biggest thing here is I have a name for mysterious health problem that's been plaguing me for over a decade. It's Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome. When I stand up, blood pools in my hand and legs, and then my heart starts beating fast to compensate, and I get cerebral hypoperfusion. I have mood and cognitive symptoms while standing, vision changes, dizziness. I collapse and fall a lot, pre-syncope, or faint. It's exhausting and I'm in bed most the time with overwhelming fatigue. It's worst in the morning and I usually get a few hours of fairly normal activity in the afternoon or evening. It comes with persistent nausea too, what fun!

It varies in severity. I get a couple months of almost normal functioning and then it flares up again. My last flare-up coincided with a very early miscarriage. Symptoms abruptly ended 3 days ago.... and I got a positive pregnancy test today. I'm happy for the break in symptoms!

I didn't want to start threads for each of my projects because with POTS I never know if I'll be able to finish them. I'll post journal updates instead.

Last edited:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Thanks FEM! Always is a challenge to figure out! Keeps life interesting!

DH went to an organic veterinary conference and we've been talking a lot about organic or certified grass-fed since then. DH has been more willing to make changes. He is planning out a fencing project so we can change pasture free-for-all into rotational grazing.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Just spent $500 at the farm store for fence and feed. And 4 chicks! Leghorn pullets to add to my meat flock. Hubby said "I don't care". Bwahahahahahaha!

My meat mix is currently
  • 1 Dark Cornish rooster (dang, he is one MEAN bird!)
  • 1 f1 Cornish x Rock rooster
  • 3 Buff Rock hen
  • 2 f1 Cornish x Rock hens
We have chicks that will be a mix of f1 and f2, and then adding the leghorns too!

My aim is a nice meat bird that has better quality of life than the commercial CornishxRock frankenbirds.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Jumping right in to that pasture division, that's awesome! I should consider it too... Lotsa work and lotsa money... I'll have to add it to the never ending list, lol.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's my husband's thing... We'll see how they are. They kinda freak me out!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Hmmm...Cornish...I may have to file that idea away in my head and see if my life gets back to normal(my normal not normal normal)I may have to find a good source! I hope your symptoms remain dormant to give you a nice long break tort!! Glad you got it figured out...knowing is half the battle!!!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Always a stipulation from the menfolk lol bless em!!!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Icer, those rat snakes get HUGE! The one I found in my hen house was almost 8' long. It had been under the coop for a while but, began disturbing hens, eatings 5-6 eggs at a time and then, draping self over 4 nest boxes. Watched it leave 2X, same path, 3rd time took machete and tapped it's tail in one nest to get it moving, as it crossed the 2x4, took it's head off!! NO, I do not catch & save these snakes. Sorry ---- can't! If I see them in a field or woods, just shoo them away. In my barn -- DEAD!

They LOVE eggs. Not wanting to reach in a nest and find one.

Latest posts