Daydreaming while waiting impatiently!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
We were on a mini vacation in the Ozarks for my cousin's wedding. We came home early because the last hotel had bedbugs! We were 6 hours from home so we got a refund and drove home overnight. It took most of the next day to unpack and treat everything for bedbugs. Anything that couldn't go through the wash is in freezers to kill any potential hitchhikers.

We are catching up on chores. The weeds don't go on vacation! We went shopping quick today, stopped for gas and saw a sale on butter! It has been a long time and I was nervous because we didn't have butter sales for June dairy month and I only had 3 lbs left. I bought 20 pounds of butter, should last in the freezer until the next sale.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yay! Glad for good news! Hope you had a good vacation, minus thise darn bedbugs. How gross/annoying is that??

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Bedbugs? :eek: Go way! That was an awful end to your vacation! Nice find on the butter though. I got some really cheap recently too, but only bought a little. No freezer space here :(

My echocardiogram results were normal. Holter monitor results were "consistent with POTS" and I have the last test scheduled in a month. All good news.

Wonderful news! :hugs

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yay for test results - Yay for mini-vacation - Yay for laptop and ipad!

BOOOOO to bedbugs... ugh.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I wanted to put new lock-sand on the patio, and DH told me to "find a different problem to solve". :gig I took that as permission to start painting. :gig I have been repainting and repainting to find colors we like. I painted a door orange. I hate it. DH likes it. LOL. :gig. Whatever.

I'm done with bedbug cleanup, unpacked the freezers of our suitcases and things. I put the suitcases back in plastic bags. I'm not too worried about the contents because we never opened the suitcases in the room and they weren't on the bed. But really can't be too careful! DH started shopping for a camper. We looked at some new - like $15K, oh my! Currently looking at a little ancient $350 one. Curious to see what comes of his shopping. He might not get anything at all.

I'm getting settled to go back to my frugality challenge. I took a couple months off. I'll have medical bills coming up, so this is a good time to lay low and spend less. Frugalwoods blog is doing Uber-Frugal month for July. I signed up for emails but plan to start seriously at the end of the credit card billing month. Otherwise I get frustrated when the bill comes for half normal and half frugal. The rewarding part for me is competing with myself for the lowest credit card bill possible.

Our garden is doing poorly. Poor germination. Things growing sooo slowly. My flower seedlings are doing well outside, but they had a late start. I doubt the reseeding annuals will have enough time to produce seeds.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My late DH used to love camper shopping! I cut him off when he "thought" he might buy one of the bus type ones. NOPE. He wanted a new one every couple years and the ones we bought for $50K were every bit as nice as the $300K !! That's been 20 yrs now. Haven't been on a road trip in a long, long time. But we did use ours a LOT. Cross country several times, National Parks, landmarks, etc. Tried to see "everything we had been shown in the history books"....sure did a lot of them. Fun trips & good memories.

With 2 boys coming up, it could be a fun & learning experience for all of you. Nice family times.

Glad your tests were all good news!!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
My guest room project is all finished, with great timing - my cousin and her new husband will be staying overnight this weekend. I might have overdone it with a basket of fancy toiletries, a basket of fancy chocolates, gourmet candy and water bottles, new towels. I don't get to play hostess much - maybe if they think it's really nice they'll spread the word and other family will stop by in the future.

I have been frustrated with clutter and cleaning constantly, so I've been diving into minimalism a little deeper. We're at a pretty good balance in living areas and bedrooms, but our basement resembles a landfill. The basement walls are lined with floor-to-ceiling shelves most the way around the perimeter. My goal is to get everything onto the shelves [someday]. I like to work on it on hot humid days.

We've had a lot of hot and humid lately. I haven't done much around the farm/garden. Our little vacation was mostly in air conditioned spaces and I lost my acclimation to the summer temperatures. We've been using a/c at home since. I'm trying to wean off, but it's hard to fight through the dizziness. We had a cold front come through this evening and forecast low tonight is 52. I'm hoping we'll get milder temperatures and I can re-acclimate to summer. I dislike using the a/c! Makes me feel weak.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I love a/c. I don't function well without it! In fact, will make zero attempts to function without it, lol!

Glad you got the guest bedroom done! And good luck with the basement. It'll be nice to have it sorted out and get rid of what you don't need!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
What a wonderful "Problem" to have! :) I would offer a small scale you-pick too. Maybe just to a few people you know, for now, to help get the harvest off? That's after you picked what you want and need for your family that is!