Dean foods files for bankruptcy

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Nooooooo! Deans has the only French Onion dip worth eating, maybe I will lose weight. lol

That is so sad. The local newspaper had a story about how the dairy industry in Wisconsin has lost over 600 dairy farms last year. That is almost 2 a day!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
a lot of people are drinking other things now instead of milk. apparently they could not find other buyers for their milk or cream or cheeses or something.

600 dairies going out of business a year is a major hit to many small farm towns.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My take... A company that can not market to millennials (gen z), is going to struggle. In my business, I do a little studying and have been studying millennials. The biggest shock I discovered is millennials have an attention span of 5 seconds. Look at you tube ads they are 5 seconds before you can click away from them.

Examples.
Starkist in pouches now instead of cans because most millennials don't own can openers.

millennials prefer gluten-reduced and gluten-free beers made that are lower in alcohol and much more hoppy. (Lite beers don't cut it for millennials but white claw does). Most everything has to be reduced or free of sugar and absolutely must be low carbs.

millennials are also very on-line centric. They would rather use an app to grocery shop, have it delivered than hop in the car and head to a brick and mortor. Just look at the amazon CEO, jeff bezos is richest man in the world.

milk has a bad rap with millennials life style, to much fat. Heck even @wyoDreamer who I know is not a millennial is convinced that deans French onion dip which is the bomb, is fattening. See to me a post baby-boomer, fat = flavor, but to a millennial fat = nasty don't eat!

I predict within the next decade, the whole concept of brick and mortar stores will be mostly gone. Goods and services will be delivered mostly on-line and by drone or robot. Yes... you need a brake job for your car? It will be done by a robot. I give it 10 years from now, watch and see what I tell you.

My oldest son and his girl friend are millennials. They won't come to thanksgiving or Christmas because the food and drink are too fattening. I kid you not... Now I'm not saying anything bad about millennials, it's just the way they are. But if you own a goods and services business you best adapt or close up shop one or the other. Us baby boomers are dying off and millennials are going to replace us sooner rather than later.

Look at AOC and her new green deal... She's a millennial and if she had her way there would be no hamburgers for you! Well maybe you could have a hamburger but it would be made in a lab and not with cow meat either.

See my point?

Last edited:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
For Xennials (like myself) and younger, people are so much better educated about nutrition. We know that dairy-heavy diets do promote faster growth in children but also predispose to chronic illness. We are finding ourselves healthier after reducing or eliminating dairy.

The dairy industry is messsssed up. So this is no surprise at all to me. It's like a housing bubble... it's going to pop someday.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
A 5 second attention span...….they'd never make it in a flat bottom boat with a cane pole.

My daughter orders groceries online, then picks them up on her way home from work. The app tracks her phone, telling the store where she is and how soon she will be there.

She shops practically everything Amazon and is gluten free (not beer, she doesn't drink)

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
A 5 second attention span...….they'd never make it in a flat bottom boat with a cane pole.

My daughter orders groceries online, then picks them up on her way home from work. The app tracks her phone, telling the store where she is and how soon she will be there.

She shops practically everything Amazon and is gluten free (not beer, she doesn't drink)

My son and his girl friend are both in shape. My son stands 6' 2" he's about the same in the shoulders and his arms are about the size of my legs. I kid you not I took him with me once to the farm store for chicken feed. He grabbed a 50 lbs bag in each hand and curled both while we walked up the the register. He said who needs the gym when you got bags of chicken feed.

They don't eat any dairy or grains and meat is like the grains in the food pyramid.
pyramidbig.jpg

Last edited:

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have to watch all the bread things from the stores. I can't handle the dough conditioners. They make me sick.

Diabetics should only be drinking whole milk as it as less carbs than skim. The fat doesn't matter. That is latest thing they teach the diabetics.

Skim milk isn't just milk without fat. It's sort of condensed so that it isn't pale and watery. I know it used to be common practice for them to add chalk to skim milk to whiten it. There was a big thing in the news back in the late 80s about it.

My attention span is so short I can't handle 5 seconds of ads. I prefer to read personally. I don't watch much that isn't educational because I'm a nerd.

The tuna pouches are great. Hubby doesn't like canned tuna. Neither does Mom anymore. It is mostly just a bit of fish mush in liquid anymore. The pouches actually have fish in them. Since Ive started canning tuna, that's how we eat it.