debt?

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Icu4dzs said:
me&thegals said:
Icu4dzs said:
Most people who get a job don't realize that for each dollar they are paid by the employer, the employer has to pay another dollar to the government for the privilege of employing people. So if you make $10/hr, the employer pays $20/hr to have you work for them.
What payroll tax are you referring to? I believe this is simply untrue. While employers have to match 1:1 certain portions of payroll tax, they don't have to match your income dollar for dollar in taxes.
At the risk of argument, while you may BELIEVE this is Untrue, but I would be willing to challenge you to prove it is untrue. I have signed the front of paychecks as well as the back. I don't say things that I don't have experience with here. If you don't believe it, go talk to someone who owns a company and let them show you exactly what they pay. It is staggering. FICA, unemployment insurance,health insurance,retirement benefits, Federal income taxes, etc. It all adds up for the employer.
As a teenager, I did the payroll for my parents' business. While employers pay a lot of taxes, they simply do not pay 1:1 ratio of employee earnings:taxes. Now if you add in the cost of health insurance, then definitely. Probably even more than the employee earns, if a part-time employee or moderate-to-low wage earner.

Per Wikipedia:
Social Security and Medicare taxesMain article: Federal Insurance Contributions Act tax
Federal social insurance taxes are imposed equally on employers[35] and employees,[36] consisting of a tax of 6.2% of wages up to an annual wage maximum ($106,800 in 2010) for Social Security plus a tax of 1.45% of total wages for Medicare.[37] For 2011, the employee's contribution was reduced to 4.2%, while the employer's portion remained at 6.2%.[38] To the extent an employee's portion of the 6.2% tax exceeds the maximum by reason of multiple employers, the employee is entitled to a refundable tax credit upon filing an income tax return for the year.[39]

[edit] Unemployment taxesMain article: Federal Unemployment Tax Act
Employers are subject to unemployment taxes by the federal[40] and all state governments. The tax is a percentage of taxable wages[41] with a cap. The tax rate and cap vary by jurisdiction and by employer's industry and experience rating. For 2009, the typical maximum tax per employee was under $1,000.[42] Some states also impose unemployment, disability insurance, or similar taxes on employees.[43]

And the withheld income taxes for the employee are not paid by the employer--just withheld by them FOR the employee.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
And the withheld income taxes for the employee are not paid by the employer--just withheld by them FOR the employee.
No matter which way you dice it, its a LOT... and that is frustrating!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I think Trim is talking overall expenditure per employee, not simply taxes....at least that's what I gathered :hu There is too much IMO that the employers are responsible for, and some of it is just downright unreasonable and hurts business. Even if you work for yourself, the government likes to make it difficult to survive because they have their hand in everything you do. :/

Anyway...back to the topic :hide

OP, I think inventing your own job that you can do for cash to supplement anything you have coming in is the best way to go about it initially until you get on your feet, because it gives you more flexibility with the kids and a break whne you just have to have one! There are so many honest wages to be earned if you're willing to work and think outside the box! It is astounding some things people will pay for really. Tap maples and boil down and sell syrup, harvest wild berries to make jams to sell. I have harvested nuts from my own yard to sell, but if you can gain access to some, nuts sell well on Ebay and such. Babysitting, elder care, cleaning homes/churches/doctor offices etc. is pretty good pay. Grow flowers and herbs and market those. There are really tons of things you could do. I haul scrap myself. I have people call me to give me metals to haul off to get out of their way, and I recycle them for cash quite often. We are in the midst of a big job at the moment, but I get alot of calls for smaller jobs as well and because I'm my own boss I can take a break from the big job to do the little one. I recycle everything I can, including our own soda cans. I'm not getting rich, but we are doing rather well, and would have long since gone under if not for little picky odd jobs and my volunteer work even. I get truckloads of vegetables to give away, and I am allowed to keep as much as I need for my family as well, which cuts my grocery bill drastically! We picked and sold white oak acorns to deer hunters one season to the tune of a few thousand bucks one winter that kept the roof over our heads while DH was unable to find work! Just hang in there, and keep thinking about things you can do or sell. Something will hit for you, and when it does, you may well be suprised how much it can pay out!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
I think Trim is talking overall expenditure per employee, not simply taxes....at least that's what I gathered :hu There is too much IMO that the employers are responsible for, and some of it is just downright unreasonable and hurts business. Even if you work for yourself, the government likes to make it difficult to survive because they have their hand in everything you do. :/
Quite possibly, although this was the phrase I was referring to: "Most people who get a job don't realize that for each dollar they are paid by the employer, the employer has to pay another dollar to the government for the privilege of employing people." (bolding mine)

I know my employer pays as much for my health insurance as they do for my wages, before taxes. Probably that's why they're dropping my health insurance as a benefit since I'm not a full-time employee. I'm truly not trying to start a fight, just keep things accurate.

I know it's popular to hate the government, and I surely wish they would be more responsible, frugal, etc., but we get a LOT of benefits from the government. I'm glad for my post office, my roads, that my kids can go to school, snowplowing, SS for the elderly, etc.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I don't hate the government. I hate what the government does to it's people. You aren't 'sposed to push your boss around ;) I'm thankful for most of those things too...though I think schools could do waaaaaaaaaaay better than what they do I am glad they're available. The thing that irks the crap out of me is the elected officials and their blatant disregard for the people they supposedly serve and I won't list all the instances I know of because it'd take too long but that is my opinion.

I never thought you were trying to argue either :hu I don't think anyone was really. Looked like just discussing and slightly differing opinions to me :) I think we did get off topic a bit though :hide

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Elder care is a good one. I work with the elderly, and a service that is very useful is finding someone that needs a bit of assistance getting to and from appointments and lightly managing their home or errands. It has a flexible schedule that should be easily workable around the kids (so long as you don't have them all day every day).
Best of luck.

hdowden

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
thank you all for the good advice i have gotten so stressed over it all that i havent been able to think of all the options you all have given me.

hdowden

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
the only real thing i dont need but will replace is the power supply to the xbox, i have a warrenty on it and it will cost just the shipping to them which is 20 or less. the only reason i am doing this is when my kids go to bed it helps me to relax and i even have games that they can play as well. other than that i dont get anything that is not needed. i get child support for my oldest daughter and thats only 170 a month and i am able to streach that to the next month with about 20-40 left over.

Latest posts