Deer Fly Repellant?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I despise deer flies. They attack me amd my dog when I'm walking or gardening in summer. Getting out to the garden at sunrise is my best prevention, but I would love to be able to walk without being harassed and bitten.

How can I repel them?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I found a solution! Zebra print! They won't land on it. I bought a lighweight zebra print scarf. When flies bother, I pull it over my head (and look like a desert nomad, lol.) Otherwise it keeps sun off my neck.

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I forgot when posting the above! It's so simple! Too simple that I forgot! Wear a wide brimmed hat. Has to be wide brimmed all the way around. I think the flies still swarm above my head, but can't see them, and they don't go under the hat brim to get to me. It sounds strange, but it really does work for me. Now just need a doggie hat.

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Do you have Beauty Berry growing in your area? Leaves of that plant is a natural bug repellent. They have been scientifically tested to confirm this.

ETA...added this and didn't hit post! But two of us agree. 😁 they're also really pretty when berries are on them.

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Deeps Woods Off is all I know of that will definately repel deerflies. I don't like to put on chemicals, so I've used Rosemary essential oil diluted with a carrier for mosquitos, which may be a possibility, but have to put on quite a bit, and often.

Muscovy ducks love to hunt and eat deerflies, and have had great relief from the flies around here because of the ducks. The ducks affect the deerfly population over approximately a 1&1/2 acre area, and they are allowed to forage freely. When I go further than their foraging area, I will get attacked.

We started with two ducks, then when they had little ones with a total of 7 ducks, we noticed a difference.

Last edited:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Picture from wikipedia
Chrysops_callidus.jpg

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Do you have Beauty Berry growing in your area? Leaves of that plant is a natural bug repellent. They have been scientifically tested to confirm this.

ETA...added this and didn't hit post! But two of us agree. 😁 they're also really pretty when berries are on them.
Wow! I'd never heard of this! It doesnt grow in my area, unfortunately. Here's good info if others are curious (PDF from USDA)
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjALegQIKxAB&usg=AOvVaw2wuEh7uA0T0s8_k5-Cc7OV