Deer number two--Yippee!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
So, at about 8 this morning, hubby decides he's gonna go out and sit in the bush this morning for probably his last chance before the season ends, to see if he can bag another deer. He didn't get up early like he normally does, but figured it was worth a shot.

He gets out to the bush, sets up his collapsible hunting chair at a base of a tree, and sits, thinking he's probably too late for anything, but willing to give it a go anyways.

He hadn't even been sittting for more thatn 5 minutes when he hears something running through the bush. Yep, it's a deer heading right for him. It gets about 10 yards away and stops. It must have sensed something (him) and starts walking slowly, presenting a beautiful broadside shot. Hubby had already drawn his bow when he heard it running. And down it went. A beautiful quick double lung shot. It dropped almost instantly. Dh is absolutely taken with the rage broadheads.

He thought it was a doe, but when he went to retrieve it, it turned out to be a young buck, just little nubs for antlers.

We've already gutted it, and it will be hanging for a coupla days until we can get around to processing it.

We've really been blessed this year.

We will be turning most of it into ground meat, since I want to experiment with pepperoni, and salami, etc. Hubs just went to cut out the tenderloins.

Pics to follow.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
:celebrate Isn't it great! Hubby wanted me to go hunting this evening but it's calling for snow and ice here and I prefer to sit right here on the couch! :lol:

Congrats to hubby!!!

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Congrats! I am going to get my hiney in the woods. Gun season just opened back up two days ago and I'm waiting for the fever to calm back down out there.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Yeah, get yer butt out there :D. Where we're at, we can't gun hunt and I'm not so good with the bow. good luck!

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
Congrats!!!

ETA; I still have my buck tag and can use that during muzzle loader season to bag either a doe or buck. I have two neck roast, steaks, jerky and some for canning after the holidays.

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just wanted to say that it's great to have hunters out there culling the herds so the others have a better chance of survival. :hugs
Congrats, too!!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Speaking of culling the herds, hubby said that in the bush where he was at there was SOOOOO much sign of big buck activity--rubs and scrapes everwhere. He hadn't seen such an active bush in a long time.

I had a buck tag this year which was already filled, and he had an antlerless deer tag, so it's all good. We are very thankful!

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Hooray! We're still stuffing sausage from our deer that was given to us. We finally got it all ground last night. We semi cheated though and got a kit that had all of the casings and spices, etc. so we just had to chop, mix, grind, mix, stuff, smoke, eat! Are you doing everything from scratch?