Deer Season is in-Bow Season

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
So bow season is in our area right now, but we don't see any bow hunters out.

Ernie only hunts gun season. He used to hunt bow, but didn't like his crossbow. He sold it, and is hoping to get a compound bow for next season.

I haven't shot a compound bow in years! (and I'm not confessing to when).

How many other women on this forum hunt? I mean, it's not just a man's sport. I learned that when we lived in TN.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Once upon a time in a land far far away. LOL I hunted most everything in most every season. I loved to bow hunt and still own a bow. Doubt seriously I could pull the thing back now much less hit anything with it. Its been almost 4 years since I drug it out and even target practiced.

Hunting around here is to much trouble. I would have to either join a club which cost $1000's of dollars a year or hunt at one of the Dept. of Wildlife game habitats which is to dangerous. I am not going into the woods with a bunch of people who have guns or bows and probably very little sense. I want to know who I am in the woods with, and I want to know they are safety nuts that always know exactly what they are shooting.

As far as the Mississippi hunting clubs go - amazingly - a lot of them still will not take women members - and a lot will not even allow a husband to bring his wife along except for designated weekend hunts. And the reasons for this are: 1. It makes the other non hunting wifes jealous and then the husband catches flack about a woman being at "THE" male domicile. 2. Hunting camps are male get-a-ways from women. 3. Women with guns are dangerous.

Do women from other parts of the country face these challanges?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
196_ds.jpg

Kids with guns are dangerous. Not women..LOL

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Truly I think "man" camps are needed. They deserve them and if they want that attitude who cares. It is their release. Women have knitting clubs and swear a man with a knitting needle is dangerous..HA HA
Some women hunt great, some men knit great!

Women do have hunt clubs that don't want men. A bunch of hunt clubs easily accept women.

I think we get the whole gambit here.

Honestly, I am more scared of "who else is in the woods with a gun" than anything else. Just like driving down the highway and that idiot that might cross the yellow line.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I hunt, although I haven't in years. this year though, with the kids being older and able to take care of themselves to get on the bus in the morning, I might go out with hubby for deer. I get my tag every year just in case. Hubby has a compound bow, I have a cross bow.

Thewife

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Our rifle season opens Saturday.
Since our farm sits in the middle of hunter heavan, it gets scary!
Way to many hunters!
I will most likely road hunt the weekend and hunt the property during the week, when it's safer to be out there.

2ndream, I've only met 1 guy that seemed to have a problem with my hunting. When I tried to give him a tip on hunting this area, I could see the "your just a woman" look in his eyes! When I got my deer, he started asking me questions! I lied to him, told him there were 3 more bucks running with mine and sent him to where I was pretty sure there were NO deer!

I find hunting camps and groups of male hunter egos kinda fun!
When they first meet me, they apologize when ever they cuss, they do their best to walk straight when they can't, and really try to be gentlemen!
As long as I can keep a straight face, and they don't figure me out too quick, it's just like watching a good comedy full of bad actors!

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Thanks for the reminder on deer season QA.
I am an avid hiker and need to be more careful about going off trail with my dog. And I totally despise wearing the bright colors for safety because they draw attention to a single woman hiking in the forest.

I hope people aren't so desperate this year that they hunt without permission on park property. We hikers love to walk in the fall leaves and pay the county taxes to do so in the parks with reasonable safety.

One of my favorite parks is allowing hunting by permit on select weekends to control deer populations. They do close the park to all other uses on those days, disallowing any type of visitation other than hunting, showing a permit to drive past the rangers(plural!!).
I was very disappointed to see this but houses are being built surrounding the park at an alarming rate, so the same number of deer are seen now as excessive.

Anyways, thanks for the timely reminder.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
2dream said:
As far as the Mississippi hunting clubs go - amazingly - a lot of them still will not take women members - and a lot will not even allow a husband to bring his wife along except for designated weekend hunts. And the reasons for this are: 1. It makes the other non hunting wifes jealous and then the husband catches flack about a woman being at "THE" male domicile. 2. Hunting camps are male get-a-ways from women. 3. Women with guns are dangerous.

Do women from other parts of the country face these challanges?
O M G are you serious? :gig

No comment on #1, as I know that there are women out there who would have a problem with it. I'm the type that would be out there with my husband, so :hu

#2 Uh, I don't get a female get-a-way from the man here OR the kids, so nope, he's not entitled, either! :gig

#3 :gig :lol: :gig :lol: :gig :lol: Men who talk are, too! :gig

disclaimer: I was trying to be funny, take my response here as tongue in cheek, please, no offense was meant to anyone.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I am a fisherman and a trapper. I would love to hunt but I can't get past a few obstacles.

1. I don't like guns. I think it has something to do with them being loud.
2. I can't hit the broad side of a barn with a bow.
3. The people at Missouri fish and game won't let me use a hammer! :ep :lol: :gig

Someday I would like to learn to use both a bow and a gun with more accuracy.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
sylvie said:
Thanks for the reminder on deer season QA.
I am an avid hiker and need to be more careful about going off trail with my dog. And I totally despise wearing the bright colors for safety because they draw attention to a single woman hiking in the forest.

I hope people aren't so desperate this year that they hunt without permission on park property. We hikers love to walk in the fall leaves and pay the county taxes to do so in the parks with reasonable safety.

One of my favorite parks is allowing hunting by permit on select weekends to control deer populations. They do close the park to all other uses on those days, disallowing any type of visitation other than hunting, showing a permit to drive past the rangers(plural!!).
I was very disappointed to see this but houses are being built surrounding the park at an alarming rate, so the same number of deer are seen now as excessive.

Anyways, thanks for the timely reminder.
You're welcome! :)

People hunting without permission seem to be a big problem around here each year. We've already run one bow hunter out of our woods across the road. He tried to convince us that the guy down the road owned all of it. :rolleyes:

It's a shame that the deer are now seen as excessive.

Latest posts