Deficit Issue

hiker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I am starting to get pretty worried about this. Even though my family recieves no money from the government directly, it sounds as though the debt ceiling/spending mess would have such a huge ripple effect that everyone would be affected to some extent.

It makes me want to run out and stock up on all those items that I have been meaning to get. I am over-reacting to all of this? :rolleyes:

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Probably not, but nobody else hardly understand the ramifications of the mess sooooo you've got time :lol:

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I took OFG's advice long ago and invested heavily in gold. As in Buff O's. ;)

All kidding aside the morgtage and taxes are all we truely have to worry about covering these days. We learned to live w/o electricity, we have food on the hoof, milkers, birds for laying eggs and eating a garden and fruit trees. Put up all the food you can, learn to forage, save seeds, dig a root cellar etc. Read Opossum Living, it is such a great true story about a small family that lived on almost no money in the middle of the city, on a small lot and still kept up appearances.

What sort of items are you wanting to stock up on?

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This is political theater. The'll raise the debt limit. There is no other FEAR they can use at this time so the debt limit is this yrs FEAR. :) Just keep prepping and paying off your debt ASAP though. :)

hiker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
It is tough- DH & I are both executives who feel like we have a foot in two worlds- one populated by airheads that can't understand why we live in a smaller house, drive older cars etc and all the true ss folks out there who have the land and time to be completely self sufficient.

We have a nice backyard garden, with berries and fruit trees. Getting 5 more chicks -my dog plowed through a welded wire fence to get the last batch. :( We have a bee hive. I am close to getting 1 yrs worth of food and supplies. We have guns, ammo, and training. We have a group of friends and a communication/evac plan. Good supply of medical items and basic first aid training.

We don't have any debt except for our mortgage, so we are OK there. It just seems like I have probably overlooked something.... :lol:

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
hiker said:
I am starting to get pretty worried about this. Even though my family recieves no money from the government directly, it sounds as though the debt ceiling/spending mess would have such a huge ripple effect that everyone would be affected to some extent.

It makes me want to run out and stock up on all those items that I have been meaning to get. I am over-reacting to all of this? :rolleyes:
We buy 2 yrs worth of essentials to hedge inflation. There is nothing stupid about hedging inflation. Then if the SHTF you'll be in a pretty good position.
Summer employment has sucked and that will translate to a scarey winter. With the potentionial of 4.00 a gallon home heating oil, no jobs and less social programs things could get messy quick. :) Personally we will be prepping harder going into the fall months this yr.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
I took OFG's advice long ago and invested heavily in gold. As in Buff O's. wink
heeeeey.......

how da ho dat said dat? HA (BBH thats still the funniest thing i've ever heard...)

and yep - we are heavily invested in the next great currency - chickens. a sack of chickens is gonna buy just about anything soon.
;-)

i'm totally annoyed at the whole thing too - what a bunch of kindergartners.

hiker it sounds like you're got things well planned out. my best advice is.... go and getcha a nice tall cold one and shake your head at the goings on.

:)

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hiker said:
It is tough- DH & I are both executives who feel like we have a foot in two worlds- one populated by airheads that can't understand why we live in a smaller house, drive older cars etc and all the true ss folks out there who have the land and time to be completely self sufficient.

We have a nice backyard garden, with berries and fruit trees. Getting 5 more chicks -my dog plowed through a welded wire fence to get the last batch. :( We have a bee hive. I am close to getting 1 yrs worth of food and supplies. We have guns, ammo, and training. We have a group of friends and a communication/evac plan. Good supply of medical items and basic first aid training.

We don't have any debt except for our mortgage, so we are OK there. It just seems like I have probably overlooked something.... :lol:
Well I guess the answer to your question is "How much of that stuff can you get into your vehicle if you have to GTFOOD in a real hurry and o by the way, where would you go and how long will it take you to get there and how many folks do you think will be doing the exact same thing at that exact same time and how long will you be able to support yourself there and a whole bunch of questions like that?

You don't have your feet in two worlds. You're stuck in one of them and thinking you're wanting to be in another. Time to make a sound "executive" decision on this one because if these guys don't get their "bowels in one basket" we are headed for the worst economic disaster this country has ever experienced and being in the city is NOT a good place to be, regardless of how well you feel prepared. Once the Zombies have no money and no food and no drugs and no alcohol and no cigarettes, you won't want to be in their path. It won't make sense just reading this right now but in a few days, if you take time to think about it you will see what I mean.

I have always been guided by a simple statement which when considered by anyone with adequate ability will make sense. "IT WASNT RAINING WHEN NOAH BUILT THE ARK"

Please don't take any umbrage with what I am saying here. All I want you to do is start taking action, not sit and wait to see if things get figured out. My guess is that there is someone who wants our country destroyed and it appears that they are about to get their way. This has been long in the planning for them and I see it coming together exactly how it was designed. We are their "victims". They couldn't beat us on the battle field but they have figured out how to destroy us from within by flooding our system with parasites that ate all the honey and then will destroy the worker bees because there is no queen bee any more. It took them from November 22, 1963 to now to do it but it appears that they are about to win unless we do something and quite frankly I am terrified of what that would be. I spent my time in the jungle of Viet Nam and while that was bad, I fear that this will be a million times worse. Think Leningrad in WWII. Yes, the Russians survived it but not all of them. I don't know what the secret of those who did survive was but it wasn't a pretty sight.

Sorry to sound so dark, but there isn't time to discuss details now. There is really very little time for anything but decisive action.
YMMV
... --- ... / ... --- ...
Priority Urgent
// -... - //
Trim sends

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This has been worrying me too. Especially for Fil who is disabled. So far it would hit us hard, but we can pack up and get out if need be. Benefits of having another place. I also feel a little better since we got the milk goat and the pair of hogs. I just need to get some veggies canned and saved up! I can't help but think it weird to come across the hogs and milk goat two days apart at the prices we did.