Deodorant?

funkychicken

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
me and DH use straight alcohol (91%)...just splash some on and let dry...it doesnt keep you from sweating...just no smell undies...it does take a while for your body to adjust...but much better than commercial deo/antp....

Lu King

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I used to use 1/2 baking soda to 1/2 cornstarch. It worked fine, but got pretty messy. Now, I only use a little deodorant when I go out to some place special where I know there will be a lot of people.

Works for me.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Lu King said:
I used to use 1/2 baking soda to 1/2 cornstarch. It worked fine, but got pretty messy. Now, I only use a little deodorant when I go out to some place special where I know there will be a lot of people.

Works for me.
Thanks for the tip and....:welcome

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
freemotion said:
The crystal is made of aluminum salts.....similar to the bad ingredient in commercial antiperspirants. Pretty much the same thing, but packaged to appeal to trick people who want to go healthy. Sheesh. Ticks me off.

I just made another batch for me and my family, I use the recipes on the other link mentioned, starting with the recipe for "Fabulous Face Cream" from the menopause site link and using that as a base for the natural deodorant on the same site. You can use any natural lotion or cream instead to make it simple, but I like the face cream for my face and legs and any dry skin.

Coconut oil really absorbs well into the skin and has many health benefits. It is anti-microbial as well, so it will keep longer w/o getting moldy or rancid, especially since you will be sticking your fingers into it every day.

So take about 1/4 cup lotion and stir in 1 Tablespoon of arrowroot powder and 2 teaspoons of baking soda. That is it. I add deodorizing petitgrain eo and also lavender and teatree eo's which have anti-microbial and anti-fungal properties and smell good, too!

This deodorant smells great and works great. It will sting on freshly shaved pits if you use lots of eo's. You can apply a very tiny amount of straight coconut oil (or the face cream made with coconut oil) first and then the deodorant to deal with this.

I will never go back.....this stuff works so much better than the commercial stuff and is so pure you can eat it. Don't know why you would, but you could! :p
The deodorant stones are an alum compound not aluminum. They work very well for me too. I'm glad you found something you are happy with. Thanks for sharing the recipe so more people can have good alternatives.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The crystal deodorant sticks, specifically, Thai brand is made from potassium alum.

So now I am unsure. It is a potassium double sulfate of aluminium which is a different chemical structure and I have no clue if it is as toxic as aluminum or not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_alum

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I figure coconut oil and essential oils and arrowroot powder are all pretty safe. All you need is a little dementia in your family to make you run screaming from any source of toxins!

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
But then I found this:

Deodorant Stones, Aluminium & Alum

Deodorant stones are made of Alum. The chemical formula is AlSO4 or Aluminium Sulphate. There is no Aluminium in Alum, but its chemical formula is Aluminium Sulphate. It takes over 30 steps in 3 different processes to obtain Aluminium.

Both Alum and Aluminium come from Bauxite Ore. Sulphuric acid (H2SO4) is added to separate many minerals from Bauxite. Alum is easily separated from the other elements in Bauxite, but Aluminium is not. As mentioned before, there are some 30 steps required to obtain Aluminium.

In order to see the entire picture, one must understand that aluminium is present is a variety of forms, ranging from pure solid aluminium to soluble and insoluble aluminium salts. The critical fact is that only certain types of aluminium compounds are harmful to humans. For example, if one were to swallow a pellet of pure solid aluminium, it would pass through the digestive tract and emerge from the body unchanged. In that situation, no absorption of aluminium would occur, and no harm to the individual would result.

The question then arises as to which forms of aluminium may be toxic and which forms of aluminium may be harmless. An extensive review of the literature indicates that the difference relies upon the solubility of the aluminium compounds in body fluids.

If an aluminium compound, such as aluminium chlorohydrate, which is very soluble, is used as an anti-perspirant, that compound is readily absorbed. Once in the body, the aluminium portion of the molecule ionises, forming free or radical aluminium (Al + + +). This ion passes freely across cell membranes, and is selectively absorbed in the liver, kidneys, brain, cartilage and bone marrow, creating the potential in any of these organ systems.

On the other hand, potassium alum (KAlSO4) is a compound which is very insoluble compound and stable. When used on the surface of the skin, no significant absorption occurs. If any minimal amount of alum is absorbed, it would not ionise, but would be secreted from the body in an unchanged state. Therefore, alum appears to be one of the aluminium compounds which is not harmful to humans.

So AlSO4 is not Aluminium (Al), nor Sulphur (S) and not Oxygen (O). It is Alum - no more and no less. Alum kills bacteria and is not absorbed into the skin.

2txmedics

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Ok, as a Medic..and on how some of the body works...etc....

we did research and found;

your body is putting out GERMS...so Hence, what do you do when you get rid of GERMS on your hands?

GERM X

so we did a test here at home with DH....who sweats alot when working...and at times, can smell it...so took a shower, and then applied GERM X to under arms...and went to work out in the yard in summer...

WOW!!! No smell and dry!!!

so now that is all that we use, I will tell you:
do not shave and then apply it...it stings....lol

GOOD LUCK...TRY IT WHAT DO U HAVE TO LOSE