1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. WW2 Rationing Recipes - Canadian and British - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Dermatitis

Discussion in 'Natural Remedies' started by Hinotori, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Jul 17, 2018
    Hinotori

Hinotori Super Self-Sufficient

I know it's been a bit since I posted. Life has been life.

Everyone here is one of the best sounding boards for things that I know of.

First background for the issue.

So my 5 year old niece has some issues with dermatitis. Nasty patch behind her knee that embarrasses her. It's thick,dry, and painful.

They've tried just about everything in the last year. Their doctor can't figure out what's wrong.

I'd given Mom some body butter I made for her own dry skin and Mom rubbed some of that in twice a day when she had my niece over the last three days. She figured it couldn't hurt and might make the dry skin feel better. It did help. The dry skin softened and most had flaked off by yesterday morning. My niece was all insistent that Mom give her some of the magic lotion to take home.

Mom asked me last night if I knew of anything I could add to the oils that would help with dermatitis and psoriasis. That's where I need help. Don't know what would work.

The body butter I'd given her had almond oil, coconut oil, beeswax, shea butter, cocoa butter, and vitamin E. Just a basic skin care item.

moxies_chickennuggets likes this.
  2. Jul 17, 2018
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master

Hi Hinotori - good to see ya!

I really don't know anything about dermatitis and psoriasis - but there have been two instances where I've had a skin issue. Both times I made a paste from coconut oil, fresh aloe vera gel, and organic turmeric powder. One spot was on my forearm and it was raised and scaly. I put that paste on it and covered it with a band-aid. The spot was gone in a couple of days. The other time I had a dark spot on the side of my face. During the day I hid it behind my hair, but at night I'd use that same paste (a fresh batch) and put a band-aid over it - same result. When I would wash my face pieces of that raised dark skin just flaked off and in a couple days it was totally gone. I had made an appointment with a dermatologist to have the spot checked and a few days later when it was time for the appointment the spot was already gone. I don't know if it would work on other stuff - but it sure worked for me those two times.

Hinotori likes this.
  3. Jul 17, 2018
    Hinotori

I don't live down by my parents or brothers so I only see stuff in person a few times a year. Seeing it myself might help me some. Mom tries.

My SIL thinks what Mom used and gave her some of is a miracle cure. Mom doesn't think it will cure it, just alleviate the symptoms and reduce the scaring that has already started.

I can't do lotions since those have a shelf life and need refrigerated to keep longer. Having to ship stuff causes me issues. Mom can do herbal soaks if I give instructions.

One of Mom's best friends (who also doesn't live there now either) has been trying to figure out what could help, too. She suggested Balm of Gilead. Have to wait until early next spring to make that. I have trees here that will work

4. Jul 18, 2018
    sumi

sumi Sustainability Master Administrator

Hinotori, it's good to see you!

Comfrey leaves are good for skin issues too. You can make a paste, or some kind of ointment with it, whichever is easiest, apply it to the area and cover with a bandage.

Hinotori likes this.
  5. Jul 18, 2018
    Beekissed

Beekissed Mountain Sage

Castor oil....ALWAYS good for skin renewal and healing. It's an antifungal, antibacterial and antimicrobial...and for added measure it's an insect repellent.

milkmansdaughter and Hinotori like this.
  6. Jul 19, 2018
    Britesea

Britesea Sustainability Master

Calendula petals are known to be good for all kinds of skin issues. Couldn't hurt to add that.

My brother has psoriasis and he insists that the only thing that helps him is exposure to sunlight.

Beekissed and Hinotori like this.
  7. Jul 20, 2018
    Hinotori

Thanks for suggestions. I'll have to make up small samples to test and go from there

8. Jul 24, 2018
    milkmansdaughter

milkmansdaughter Super Self-Sufficient

9. Jul 24, 2018
    Hinotori

Thanks. Just been bleh here.

I'm ordering some castor oil and going to experiment on my husband's psoriasis covered hands.

Mom's going to collect calendula petals because she always grows some.

The body butter that she had is still working on my niece. My SIL is still in amazement over it doing what all that prescription stuff didn't. SIL may be a convert to trying some of the more natural things now.

Side note. Mom gave two of my nieces some of the chapstick I took down. They got excited that the chapstick was good for them and smelled like oranges. That's because I added orange candy flavoring oil. I can't stand the smell of shea butter and it covers it but doesn't add sweetness

sumi likes this.
  10. Jul 24, 2018
    Hinotori

I cut comfrey and dried it yesterday. I never seem to put up enough for winter