Difference - Food mill vs Food Strainer

Jo-Ann

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Jo-Ann said:
What is the difference between a food mill, like http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips-Food-Mill/dp/B000I0MGKE/ref=pd_sbs_k_11, and a food strainer, like http://www.amazon.com/B2B-Food-Stra...F8&colid=1YNPXA80JSPIY&coliid=I3V9EMHMXB5VYU?

What is the difference between the finished product? I've not used either one so I'm sort of confused. I want to mostly process some tomatoes and blackberries.
I use a food mill every once in a while but I have never used a food strainer/juicer LIKE THE ONE SHOWN. usually a food mill will leave the skins and seeds behind in the mill and you dump them out. The other device appears to have a screw drive which usually means a higher pressure is used to force the food through the strainer. This might crush the seeds and force the skins through the strainer. For myself I don't want seeds crushed or whole in the final product, if i did I would just use my meat grinder. your use, your choice and I hope you get an answer from someone that has actually used the strainer/sauce maker because I am only guessing what the results are like. ~gd

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have a Squeezo strainer, which is like the second one mentioned in the OP, but all metal. The food goes down into the screw, like in a meat grinder, and the soft parts (tomato sauce, as an example) is pushed through the strainer, and the seeds and skin are ejected out the end. The end result is the same as with a food mill, but there is less effort involved. Turning the handle is easy, and there is no need to back up to clean the plate; it just all goes through in a continuous process. The only downside is that the screens can be a hassle to clean.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
My strainer is electric, and attaches to my kitchen center. I've never had a problem w/skins and/or seeds going thru it or getting smashed.

As for clean up, if you clean it right away and use a brush of some sort, it's normally not much of a problem. I have also thrown some old bread thru after I'm done processing. It helps get stuff out and the bread cleans much easier.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ORChick said:
I have a Squeezo strainer, which is like the second one mentioned in the OP, but all metal. The food goes down into the screw, like in a meat grinder, and the soft parts (tomato sauce, as an example) is pushed through the strainer, and the seeds and skin are ejected out the end. The end result is the same as with a food mill, but there is less effort involved. Turning the handle is easy, and there is no need to back up to clean the plate; it just all goes through in a continuous process. The only downside is that the screens can be a hassle to clean.
Ditto ORChick's experience, except I have a Tomato Press that is mostly plastic. I find food mills fiddly and messy, but my press works wonderfully and I'd love to have a Squeezo some day :)

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have used both and the food strainer is worth every penny. I saved so such time processing that I gave the mill away. If you invest in the strainer you won't be sorry just be sure to spend the additional money and get the berrry screen. The holes are smaller and the berry seeds don't slip thru it. The standard screen that comes with it works great for tomatos and apples. There are other screens that can be added that will process pumpkins and squash and salsa as well. Their cost is aprox $8 To $9 each. To sum it up I would not be without my strainer in the kitchen and I have had the same one for 25 years, money well spent. And it is the Back To Basics brand.

Jo-Ann

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thanks so much to everyone who answered. These 2 different types had me going crazy, so now I finally have some honest opinions.

Corn Woman, you're just the kind of person I was looking for. Someone who had used both types and compare the 2.

Now my only question is which one to get. I'm kind of leaning towards the B@B strainer as shown in the 2nd link above, but don't know if the Roma tomato strainer kit will work with it.
Jo-Ann

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hi Jo-Ann,

There are several strainers on the market and usually the parts are not universal. Also if anyone needs replacement parts for any canning equipment go to mendingshed.com they have everything and are not limited to just canning.

Latest posts