Digital Camerals and Their Batteries

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am having fits with my cameras and their batteries.

The camera that I have now (a Nikon Coolpix) and the one I had before (a Kodak EasyShare) eat betteries like candy!

It has happened before that I put new batteries in and they'd be dead before I could even take one picture.

Then, I bought those batteries that say they are especially for cameras. Still, I can take a few pictures and the battery can be dead before I can get the camera to the computer to get the pictures off.

So, recently I got some rechargeable batteries and a charger. They work for a little bit longer. But still not great. And they seem to hold significantly less charge each time I recharge them.

My boss, Mr. P uses this battery he gets for about $18 at Walmart. It looks like two AA batteries stuck together. He says it lasts him for a real long time. He only has to buy one every few months.

I hate to spend $18 on a battery, but I guess I will try that next.

Have y'all found a more efficient way to do this?

Cassandra

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I have rechargeable batteries. I bought the Kodak brand rechargeable. I have a AA charger and about once a year I buy a new 4 pack of digital Kodak batteries.

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We have an EasyShare and two rechargeable camera batteries. Even with a full charge, they seem to fade quick. If the charger has a refresh button, hit that before you charge. That is supposed to 'clear' all charge and start fresh.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
I have a Pentax Optio. I bought it because it is waterproof and it came with its own Lithium battery and it will last for weeks...sometimes months...without needing to be charged. I can take over 300 pictures before I have to charge it.

Janet&Jim

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
HI Cassandra,
I'm not familiar with your particular camera,I have the Pentax Optio WR33 and i have learned 3 ways to extend my battery life. If your camera is capable of doing so,set your picture quality lower, turn off you flash when not needed and here's one a lot o' folks overlook. When you download yer pics it uses a lot of your battery power. I got myself an AC adapter that i plug into my camera for downloading and that in itself has helped to extend battery life quite a bit.
Also, if you remove your memory card from your camera and put it into a USB adapter (card reader) for downloading this will also extend battery life. HOWEVER ...there is a trade off. Consant removal and re-insertion of your memory card WILL eventually creat problems with your camera/memory card.

Farmer Kitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a Canon Powershot A560 and use Duracell rechargable batteries. When I bought my first digital camera the guy told me to use rechargables and recommended Duracell over the others.

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The rechargeable Lithium are terrific. Mine lasts for months at a time - but it is only good for one brand of camera. I have an Olympus.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I have the same problem! So frustrating! I plan to get me a different camera that takes the lithium batteries, as the cameras that use the AA are not cost efficient at all. :(

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a Sharp digital camera, couple years old. I always get the Energizer e2, the silver kind, they last quite a while. My son has a Fuji Finepix and uses them too.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Both of my cameras are canons and I recharge the batteries that came with them.
I do know that the LED screen uses the most power and I keep mine off unless I want to see a picture immediately then turn it off asap.
Can you turn your LED screen off? That might help.