Discovery of the Habitat ReStore

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The temperature got up to 97F here today so I decided to stop work on my new chicken coop this morning and take a road trip to the Cincinnati Habitat for Humanity Restore. Never been there before. I called my buddy and we headed east. It was kind of a long drive (1.5 hr.) in my old beat up pickup just to go to a used merchandise store but it was fun. Wow! I fell in love with that place. Everything a guy could ask for at ridiculously low prices.

I bought twelve 24"x36" window panes for $1.50 each. Four 16"x24" window panes for the chicken coop at $1.00 each. They are old, wood, single pane but exactly what I have been looking for. The wooden frames are wide so I can cut them to what ever size I want.

I bought six packages of 2 extra heavy duty 5" galvanized hinges for $1.00 each package. I wish I had purchased ten packages now. These hinges are $8.00 each at a hardware store. $0.50 each, I can't believe it. They had a 55 gal. drum full.

I bought five sheets of 5/8" B-C grade exterior plywood for $5.00 each. One side was painted a cream colored primer on all sheets. That's good - now I don't have to prime them. These sheets are $25.00 to $30.00 each at the Home Depot.

I bought two packages of 6 duplex grounded electric outlets at $1.00 each package. And two packages of 6 light switches for $1.00 per package.

There was so much stuff there that I could have spent the entire day. Row after row of unbelievably cheap goodies. There is a large room full of furniture. A room full of kitchen cabinets, sinks, counter tops (from fancy marble to Formica). A large area of bathroom cabinets, sinks, and counter tops.

Can you tell? I'm pumped.

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I wish I could go check out the one near us. But it is 2 hours away.. But I hear that one over charges for the stuff. But its for a good cause so???? But I cant say for sure if they do over price things. But I still want to go see it, I really need to pick up some stuff to make a small out door run for my chihuahuas..

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My Auntie replaced all the window in her house with Habitat windows.

I love looking at their web sites. I think I would go crazy there as well.

Great finds!!

g

Beanie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Got one 15 mins from me.... LOVE it!
Nightstand, knobs, hinges, cabinets
:D

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Ours is an hour away, and I have never been in it. It's probably expensive too :hu

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Boogity - Do you know what the hours are and the location? It sounds like a great excuse to go to Cincy and also stop in at Jungle Jim's.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've been to ours, it's awful... everything is so overpriced it's not even funny... they had an old picture window there last time I was there... probably 5 feet high and 6 feet wide... they wanted $1500 for it.

Old hollow core wood doors are $50 each... it's crazy.

I'd love one that had cheap stuff :)

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
hoosier said:
Boogity - Do you know what the hours are and the location? It sounds like a great excuse to go to Cincy and also stop in at Jungle Jim's.
No. I'm sorry but I don't have a clue.
Speaking of Jungle Jim's, my wife had a wood burning stove shop directly across the street from there. She owned the store from 1985 through 1999. It was named The Fire Place. She sold wood, gas, and pellet stoves, fireplaces, BBQ grills, mantles, and tons of hearth accessories. I helped on weekends and I was in charge of the two installation crews. She liked the business and I hated it. We sold it to some folks from Holland, MI in '99 and I have not been back in there since. I heard rumors that they went out of business a few years ago.