Disinfecting water for washing

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hey ya'll, I've read the various ways to clean up suspect water for drinking (boiling, bleach, iodine tabs, etc.), but what is the best way to disinfect water for washing (either oneself or dishes)? I'm thinking for a 5 gal. container. I sure don't want to boil 5 gallons of water; will 1/2 tsp bleach be enough to kill any critters?

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
I hoard a fair amount of water because of power outages and first sterilize all my containers using a tablespoon of bleach per 1 gallon which I pour a small amount into each container, shake and let sit for 10 minutes then rinse out. If you are filling all your containers with potable water then you only need to add a few drops of bleach per gallon to store for a year or more.

Funny coincidence is that I just did this to about 10 gallons of empty milk jugs just minutes before reading this message. If you are using anything other than potable water your procedure will be different and depends on what the water actually is. A half a teaspoon is good for 5 gallons if it was good water to begin with.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Boiling is best, but xpc is correct for clear water. For cloudy water, double the amount. Be sure to use regular, unscented bleach.

Also, if the water is cloudy due to suspended solids, run the water through coffee filter to capture most of the solids.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Note that for washing, all you really need disinfected water for is the final rinse (well, I mean, don't use super horrible nasty stuff for the earlier part either, but just plain 'I wouldn't drink that' is fine)

Also quite a lot of the 'cleaning' phase of washing dishes or self can be done either dry or just with a damp cloth, which also saves water.

Pat

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I guess I should have been more specific...this would probably be rain water from my rain barrells that collect water from off my roof. If I was going to DRINK it, I would be super-careful...strain a couple times, boil it, then bleach it too!! :D Don't want to take any chances getting some horrible stomach ailment during an emergency!! But I have dozens of gallons of spring water stored in their original containers, which I rotate, that I plan to use for drinking.

So, that said, what's the best way to disinfect RAIN WATER to use for bathing & cleaning? Say, in 1 gallon or 5 gallon increments?

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
a quarter teaspoon of bleach will do it for 5 gallons. It doesn't even have to sit. the oxidation is immediate

You don't need to boil it. One process is enough.

if for some reason you need to drink it let it sit overnight and the chlorine will disspate out.