DIY For Boer Goats

Selahgal

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
We have three grown Boer goats that we want to keep in our 'outer' woods/pasture and need some ideas for building a sturdy lean to type goat proof shed/shelter for them. We had built a standard large wood garden type shed when they were in the inner 'pen', which they've managed to eat or break apart much of it.

Any ideas for something sturdy and tough, but just to get them out of the bad weather? Something they can't eat or break or rip or ruin? Hrmmm, cement/concrete comes to mind! HAHA. Just kidding.

HELP?? :)

Marci

Selahgal

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Looks like a great animal shelter!

My concern would be our three Boer goats are BIG and they have HORNS and EAT ANYTHING and I fear they'd make quick work of that covering!

Thanks for sharing tho.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a shelter like that. I've had it for about 5 years. At my place there are goats that use it, horses that use it, and for awhile, pigs used it too. It's a lot sturdier than you might think. Yes, you may have to replace the tarps, but that's a quick and easy fix. The fact that it's somewhat flexible gives it a lot more strength than you might imagine. Goats can push on it and it gives way and then pops back. I've even had goats get on top of it, lol.

I've had wethers with horns who might try to rub on the outside..but for whatever reason they don't hook their horns into it.

You can build one in about an hour - so it may be well worth the effort to give one a try.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have been thinking about that type of shelter for our goats for a couple months. I wondered how well it was going to hold up, but now I'm going to try it.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
my friend got her billy goat a quansa (sp?) hut. it is a half round metal shelter. hers is @4-5 ft tall and she was able to get a door for the front. he loves to ram it but cant do much to it. and he doesnt chew it like the wood one he had. and 2 people can move it.