DIY Scrap Guttering Chicken Waterer

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm sure a lot of people already know this, but DH and I made a couple of chicken waterers using scrap guttering.

Rather than going into a lengthy post here, if you're interested in how we did it, you can see the whole shmear on my blog at:

http://2atthefarm.blogspot.com/ Eco Friendly Tightwaddery and the Fine Art of Substitution

I'm afraid to start a blog here at the SS forum. I'm afraid I'd never get anything done with two blogs!

hillfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
we had decided to put up gutters and then a rain barrel on ours. but this seems s alot more useful. We get really heavy rains, how do you stop the overflow?

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh, I don't. We had some pretty good storms the other day and I'm sure they overflowed. Mine are out in the open, so all the ground was wet from the rain anyway.

Plus, I really flood them to help clean them out. I'm lucky in that we have really strong water pressure from our wells.

We had a friend that used a toilet plumbing kit (with the float) on a big tub for his dogs water. I'm not sure how he plumbed it, but he was able to leave the hydrant on (with a hose attached) and the water tub filled up when the water level got low.

I'm always amazed at how creative people can be.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've done the waterers before, but I had a look at your blog anyway. LOVE the subtitle! I think I may have to try your crockpot beanie-weenies. I have some loss-leader $1 sausages that I'm pretty sick of, and this sounds interesting. I never heard of adding coconut and cocoa to baked beans before, so now you have me curious.

P.S. On the blog -- I wonder if I should have started one. When I have stuff to write about, that pretty much means I don't have any time. :rolleyes:

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks, Shiloh!
Last night I decided to change it as almost daily I ask myself how I could sub for whatever I'm missing. I think I'm driving everyone nuts with it, too. :D But I hate driving into town as it is and just won't drive in for one item, unless it's plumbing. Then I just plan on making three trips that day.

PS - If you go back to the blog again, make sure you read the shop vac story. That pretty much sums up how things go for me around here. :lol: Gotta laugh at what life throws ya!