DIY sprinkler-stand upgrade

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We had a sprinkler stand that didn't work well after I changed the sprinkler head atop it to a "rainbird" type - the force of the spray shooting out laterally to one side would always knock it over, if not sooner then later. The base of the stand was store-bought, and was made from 5/16" steel rod formed essentially into an H pattern. For quite a while I solved the toppling issue by wrapping some heavy steel chain around the stand, above the base. But the chain (besides the virtue of weighing about 20 pounds, giving weight to the bottom) was floppy, and had to be re-wrapped every time I moved the sprinkler. A real nuisance!

I was at a yard sale recently and saw a couple 10-pound dumbbells for sale, at $2 each. The dumbbells appeared to be made from forged steel. The price was cheap, so I bought them.

4407_sprinkler_base.jpg

I put some 1/8" x 2" steel strapping across the rods on the base and welded the two straps into place. Then I welded the dumbbells onto the strapping. I used my Lincoln MIG-Pak welder, loaded with.035 flux-core wire for the welding.

Now the stand has a 20-pound base that does not come apart every time I need to move the sprinkler.

4407_sprinkler_stand.jpg

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Brilliant idea!! A couple of dumb bells hanging out in your yard is a good idea!! Who woulda thunk it? :lol:

Daffodils At The Sea

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Very nice! I wish I could weld, but I think my husband would faint if I started doing that! :)

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Daffodils At The Sea said:
Very nice! I wish I could weld, but I think my husband would faint if I started doing that! :)
Are there community programs near you - at a school, rec center, whatever - where you could have access to some equipment and get the basic training? If you got the essential technical and safety training, maybe you could develop a relationship with the facility or institution so you could use the equipment from time to time. Just a thought.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Good idea. And it's never too late to learn a new skill-- especially one like welding.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I have a couple of dumb bells that I'd like to weld together at times. :hide

Daffodils At The Sea

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I already have waaaaaay too many projects underway. I think I actually scare my husband with all the things going on. :D In fact, I am inspired by another thread around here somewhere about down alternatives. Our pond is covered with cattails, and I'm going to pick the cattails and the fluff, and collect it, see if it can be used as down. He just stared at me like I was crazy when I mentioned it!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've read that the cattail fluff is a decent alternative to down. I was told be one person it's called kapok, and another said that's wrong so :hu