Do all pellet stoves require electricity?

Better Half

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Do all pellet stoves require electricity? I heard there are some that don't but have been unable to find one. My parents want a pellet stove for some reason but don't want to freeze when the power goes out. If anyone could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yes they require electricity.
there is a small auger in there that twists down the loaded corn pellet bin, and that gets the pellets into the burner.

I haven't seen one that does not require electricity.

I put in a propane fireplace. No elec. required. I have a 100 lb propane tank installed on the side of the house out of sight. Very easy. Buy the stove, they installed it, brought the tank...everything was so easy. Propane is a hot heat also. A little goes a long way and I won't freeze either if an ice storm takes out the power.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
FC - I'm with you. I have a propane fireplace and my stove runs off propane. If nothing else I can keep warm and eat. when the power goes out.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea 2dream

I thought long and hard on this one. Wood fire was going to be messy and I had to chop wood...LOL...didn't want to do it for just a back up fireplace for survival. I truly wanted ease with this emergency backup heat!

everything else required electricity---propane did not and they service it....no work on my part.
And the heat is so nice isn't it? House warms so fast and the fire is pretty. Win win for me!

how big is your tank?

pitzerlady47

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Yes pellet/corn stoves require electricity but for a price you can get a battery /inverter back up for a price, that would be cheaper to get small generator! I love my corn stove..have had one for 4 years and wouldn't go back to wood for anything. Less work, cleaner, and feel safer. but i also live alone and disabled...so...:/

Better Half

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My mother is disabled and my dad is in his 70s. They like the idea of a no fuss stove. I'll suggest propane to them. Thanks for the ideas everyone.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea better
if they want true no fuss, then go propane. even with the pellet stove you have to drive to the store to get corn or pellets or whatever your fuel is....and carry it, and load it and I think the ash is very little though. I think they burn super efficient to pulverized ash.....but still, some cleanup.

My propane stove is aboslutely no fuss, no mess, no, hmm...anything but heat...LOL

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
yea 2dream

I thought long and hard on this one. Wood fire was going to be messy and I had to chop wood...LOL...didn't want to do it for just a back up fireplace for survival. I truly wanted ease with this emergency backup heat!

everything else required electricity---propane did not and they service it....no work on my part.
And the heat is so nice isn't it? House warms so fast and the fire is pretty. Win win for me!

how big is your tank?
150 gals and we usually only have to fill up 1 time a year, 2 at the most and thats we have a lot of cold. So far this year we have only used it a couple of times to keep the heat strip from coming on the central unit. I hate those power bills from that central unit. Of course for the last few days the windows have been open and we have not had to use any heat at all but that will change tomorrow from what the weather man says.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
here is a pic of my fireplace and Nicole hamming it up for the camera

196_000_0004fire.jpg
[/img]

yea 2dream....I am the same as you. Got it mainly for emergencies if power goes off and we freeze........it sure throws the heat nice! I use it also to keep that electric heat strip from coming on also....those are super expensive bills when that strip kicks on to warm up the house. Heat pumps are great but on those super cold days they just can't suck heat out of that cold air.....I see that little heat strip light go on I freak out...HA HA....never again! :)

yea I paid $3.14 per lb. got 100 lbs. so far in 6-7 weeks I have used 25 lbs about.....so I figure I am doing well with it.

Oh edited to say, the stoves they make are sooooo pretty. Tons to choose from. I fell in love with this one. But I have seen others I would love to own also..HA HA

OrpingtonManor

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Thelin makes the Little Gnome pellet stove which comes with the ability to run on a 12V DC battery in case the power goes out.

Personally, I have heated exclusively with a Quadra Fire Castille Pellet insert for over 3 years. The only down side to pellets is having to carry a 40 lb bag of pellets. It's not a problem for me, but if I was elderly, I might find it too much.

Latest posts