do you always do something at the begining of the year?

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am running late this year. Every year the first week, I sharpen all my knives and tighten all my pot and pan lids and handles and go through the house tightening any knobs etc. that are loose. I usually don't have to do it any toher time throughout the year.

Is there anything you do at the begining of the year?

Monica

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
We have a huge pantry off the kitchen. It is all the space under the steps going to the upstairs. So it is short at one end and very tall at the other. We keep everything in that pantry.

I take everything out of the pantry and wipe down all the shelves, replace shelf paper (if necessary), wipe the jars off. Clean the appliances that go in there (waffle iron, mixer, food processor, toaster, dehydrator, bread machine, coffee bean grinder). Wipe down all the cookbooks and put them back on the shelf. Sweep and wash the floor and walls. I rehang the "stuff" on the walls. Then I reorganize the contents on the shelves so they are in good order. Lastly, I put back the paper shredder, vaporizer, step stool, bag of dog food, broom, dust brush and pan and shut off the light.

I actually do this twice a year. But January's effort helps keep me sane. :D

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Yep. Vow to get off all the holiday fat...

...and then go hit the freezer for treats just one more time.

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I also start spring cleaning, with the weather I'm stuck inside a lot and this way I don't have to hurry. By spring I have everything done and can enjoy going outside without a guilty conceince.

Monica

I also clean all the light fixtures, fans, outlets, switches. Reorganize cabinets/ clostes. I end up getting rid of lots that I don't use. I also do this twice a year, I'll do it at the end of summer.

Monica

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
alright, come to my house. I will let you do all of that on your list if it makes you happy! :gig----I will even give you a cup of coffee!

LOL

no, I don't do anything special the first of the year. I don't truly spring clean or anything like that. I clean all the time and do what people might "do" for spring cleaning throughout the year.

Like curtains and such....I did all those last week....took them down, shook out, washed, wiped all blinds and ventician blinds etc. Just cause it caught my eye and it snowballed into the big clean for those things.

I look at early spring and early fall as my big work times. I follow the farm type situation. My heavy work falls outside for planting and such.....so I guess I follow those schedules. January, the first of a new year, etc. doesn't mean much to me. I don't know...lol...it just never did.

I can't keep to a true schedule if my life depended on it actually. I miss b-days for people, I almost always miss holidays like a card for hubby at valentines day etc. They come too fast! :)
yea I missed my own anniversary...he had to remind me basically..HA HA

I did vow to do true farm financial paperwork this year and as of today, I have done it! But hmm..only Jan. 7 right? I have a long way to go to see if I stick with it..HA HA

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I get my tax papers together (as they become available) and get the taxes done.

I also try to re-organize storage areas.

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Does coffee cake come with that?

Itry to only do major cleaning twice a year(cleanig out closets, curtains, blinds etc.) I have been telling myself the blinds need cleaning, but I'd rather do almost anything else, so it's not done yet.

Monica

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
coffee cake? hmm....do I have to bake it from scratch or is store bought OK......LOL

yea I get that fast action effect. I start something small, then boom, I am into the whole big clean of it. I changed out the furnance filters, put in new ones, and went to close the door and saw dust...well out came the vacuum, wiped it down, cleaned up the floor in the little room, etc. etc. A few minute job of changing filters became an hour long full clean of the area.

If I do things that way they get done.

If I plan on doing it X day---hmm...then I am like you---something better has to be available to do instead of cleaning..HA HA HA

Cleaning. what is up with this? seems like it is constant ya know...what it is??? for the rest of my life???? shoot me OK---hehehe

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
ok--I'll be serious. Every winter I try to super deep clean the house. Summer is devoted to gardening and putting up food, so the house gets a bit webby and dusty. I try to deep clean every single room--dust everything, wipe down baseboards, move beds and vacuum underneath, wash all light fixtures and ceiling fans, get out the extra paint and touch up spots on the walls. The only thing I don't do is shampoo carpets, which I probably should after 5 years in this house.

So, gotta get offline now and start getting that cleaning done. After all, I only have a month or 2 before garden seedlings get started inside--yikes!

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
As soon as January hits I know it's time to do the orchard tree pruning. I feel this nasty nagging feeling until it's all done (there are only 10 trees so it's really not that bad). I told DH the other day that we need more apple trees, so I guess it will be more work in the future. He looked at me a bit crazy-like... we froze so bad late last spring that there was not one piece of fruit, not even a single apple made it.