Do you butcher your own pigs? How do you store the meat?

1littlefarmer

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
My wife and I will be butchering a pig in a few weeks and I've been researching a LOT on the cuts and storage but I still have a few questions.

Most of the meat will be cut, vacuum packed, and put in the freezer but the ham and bacon have me perplexed. I think I want to salt (dry) cure and probably smoke both but I'm not sure how to store them after that and for how long I can store them. I know cured ham is supposed to be good for a year unless it's cut into but can I cut up the ham and cure it in smaller pieces? I'm also still considering a wet cure so I would be happy with advice in that direction, too.

Thanks for any help!

bambi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sorry I have not butcher a pig before but :welcome and :frow (should be a smile waving hello) from Mo.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
You can hang the ham in a cool dry place after it's salted and smoked. Think of the country hams in the store that just hang and the vacuum sealed packages of country ham...none are refridgerated. I think bacon can be done the same way as long as it isn't sliced yet. That's how the older generation used to do it anyway :hu

1littlefarmer

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks, Bambi! I've been lurking for a while :D

Wannabefree said:
You can hang the ham in a cool dry place after it's salted and smoked. Think of the country hams in the store that just hang and the vacuum sealed packages of country ham...none are refridgerated. I think bacon can be done the same way as long as it isn't sliced yet. That's how the older generation used to do it anyway :hu
So, as long as I cure each piece (for example I bone the ham and cut it in to a few 3 lb. pieces) I could store it without refrigeration but I could vacuum pack it?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I would certainly think so. I would ask a butcher to make certain, but it is how folks kept them way back, and still package country ham that way. I'd sure try it myself. :)

And sorry I forgot to tell ya :welcome I hope you enjoy the site :)

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Ive been researching how to cure hams and it seems pretty easy. Here is a link Curing Hams

You cure bacon as well. But you can can bacon at home pretty easily and I found this link in my Backwoods Home Magazine. Its how to can bacon without all the grease and junk definitely worth your while to check it. Canned bacon- roll your own

Then I have heard my granny talk about them canning sausage. Then you could freeze the rest or can it as a meal in a jar. But be warned pork doesnt keep as long as other meats do in frozen form.

Welcome to SufficientSelf by the way! We havent done a pig yet but plan to next year after we get our milk cow.

1littlefarmer

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for all the welcomes!

And thanks, BarredBuff for the links. They were both helpful.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
1littlefarmer said:
Thanks for all the welcomes!

And thanks, BarredBuff for the links. They were both helpful.
Your welcome :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:frow

nothing like your own meat in the freezer. My hogs were delish for sure! :)