Do you/can you freeze biscuit dough?

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
I would like to start making up extrs biscuit dough when I bake fresh biscuits. I would like to freeze the dough instead of freezing the baked biscuits. Has anyone done this with success? If so, how do you do it?

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Hi--I've done it with rolls, but not biscuits. I bet, though, you could stick the dough on a greased cookie sheet or maybe even one lined with greased saran wrap, freeze them, then pull the frozen pucks off the sheet and dump them in a bag, thaw and bake. Do you think that might work? Wouldn't hurt to try with a couple left-over biscuits some time to test it out...

coopy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
go to www.baking911.com. They have all types of answers about breads and biscuits.
The site suggests that you bake them halfway then freeze to keep from drying out.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I have a recipe for bisquit mix. Istore it in a big container, and just scoop out what I need when I need it.

Easy Bisquit Mix

10 cups whole wheat flour
1/3 cup baking powder
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons salt
2 cups shortening

Mix and store 6 weeks at room temperature or 6 months in freezer.

To make bisquits:
make a well in 1 cup of mix, add 1/4 cup milk and stir with fork until dough clings. Knead 10-12 times on lightly floured surface. Rollor pat to one inch thickness, and cut with dough cutter, dipping cutter in flour after each cut.

Bake at 450F for 8-10 minutes

Of course you can use white flour if you are so inclined.

this is what we use.

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You know Pillsbury makes a biscuit that you take from the freezer and themn bake the quantity that you want. My sister in law uses them all the time cause she thinks it is far too much work to mix up a batch! :eek: I would try it some time with the biscuits you usully make. Just put the extra in the freezer and see what happens. I might be sure the dough is a little on the moist side so that it doesn't dry out as much.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
I think I will just throw a couple extra in the freezer and see what happens. I'll put it on wax paper to freeze.

I do like the Pillsbury brand. I just want to see if I can do it cheaper myself. ;)

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I tried it once and they tasted fine, but didn't rise as much as usual.

ETA: But then I'm not the most dab hand in the kitchen. :D

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
I know my MIL used to freeze cookie dough, so I don't see why you couldn't do it with the bisquit dough....let us know how it goes! :)

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I freeze my bisquit dough all the time. I did not make bisquits for years. Finally started back a few months ago and always make extra and freeze. I use wax paper to seperate them, stack neatly in a zip lock bag, lay flat and let them freeze. As with all homemade products some batches are better than others and some do not rise as well or taste the exact same but.....oh well. They are still good.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I freeze extra biscuit dough when I have my pan full when I bake them. The extra I wrap in saran wrap and us for pot pies or dumplings.