Do you grow fruit trees or berry bushes?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Chic Rustler I just stuck some cuttings in the ground a couple days ago...IF they root I'll save one for ya. I'm afraid it might be too late this year - but I don't have any experience at this so I tried it anyway, lol!

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Just a FYI for those planting fig trees. I was reading on www.foodiegardener.com (Grow Fig Trees 101) that fig tree roots "spread far and wide and can become invasive". I've never tried it, but apparently they do well in pots. It might be something to try for those of us with limited space.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Barred Buff, So glad some of your previous hard work has survived for you. I remember your posting at the disappointment you felt that "no one" continued your hard work. Looks like Mother Nature did!

You will be rewarded from prior efforts -- you will see this as you begin to rework the ground. Good job!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Some things continued on for sure. It is a blessing to see it alive again.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I used a good mill BB, it was straining everything that took nine forevers. I thought about trying a juicer this year.

mythreesons290322

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
400 blueberry bushes. raspberries pretty much died off from a virus over the last 2 years. :( 1 mature apple tree of whatever-no-name baking apples. We've been planting fruit and nut trees, but many years until they mature. Also have nannyberries and a native bush cranberry planted - I think 25 of each and many years left for them to mature as well.

Holy moly, 400 blueberries bushes do you own a u-pick or sell your berry’s?

I’ve never heard of nannyberries..I want to add a couple cranberry bushescould you tell me do they produce a lot and is the taste the same as the store bought cranberry? I forgot that I also have 2-Nanking cherry bushes..

I have a chokecherry and tried the berries right off the bush..all I can say is it tasted pretty sour..

mythreesons290322

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Semi~ I have no idea where I got the recipe sorry..You can google it and that will give you a variety of recipes to choose from.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I can't even imagine trying to take care of that many bushes! Hope they repay you when they are mature by making you lots of moolah!

mythreesons290322

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It's easy to make blackberry brandy (or liqueur)... just wash the blackberries and put them in a jar and cover with brandy (cheap is ok for this) although I prefer golden rum as it seems to taste more like fresh blackberries to me. Let it sit in your closet or some other dark place for a couple of months, then add simple syrup (2parts sugar to 1part water) to taste. That's all there is to it! I've done the same for quince, crab apple, and plum.

Yes yes that is how I made it. Thank you cause for the life of me I just couldn’t remember.