Do you leave the rings on or off your canning jars?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
10 pm, Tanks! As I don't work tomorrow, due to a tragedy in my vehicle family, I am up trying not to lay awake thinking about it! :lol:

:caf

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
It means the rest of need to stay way back from you both!! ;)

Thank you for the explanation freemotion. That is very helpful!
You are very welcome. I do pontificate, don't I :duc ? Just think, though, butter, lard, tallow, egg yokes.....all healthy choices!!! (disclaimer: in moderation!)

And since the evil twins :plbb :plbb are many miles apart and have never actually met, y'all are probably safe...sort of....no promises, though... :idunno :idunno

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am sorry to hear of your tragedy. I know reading always keeps my mind going in a straight line. Off the undesirable subjects. I guess with my three little ones I am used to hitting the hay early. I will put them to bed in 15 min, 7:30 my time and go read in bed or something. Down time I thoroughly enjoy.

Hey where did yo get that cute little smiley on the computer?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
freemotion said:
TanksHill said:
It means the rest of need to stay way back from you both!! ;)

Thank you for the explanation freemotion. That is very helpful!
You are very welcome. I do pontificate, don't I :duc ? Just think, though, butter, lard, tallow, egg yokes.....all healthy choices!!! (disclaimer: in moderation!)

And since the evil twins :plbb :plbb are many miles apart and have never actually met, y'all are probably safe...sort of....no promises, though... :idunno :idunno
Ok so the million dollar question, What type of fat should I use to make pie crust? Pot pies on the menu tomorrow.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Oh, in pie crust, pig fat rules!!! Lard all the way! If you don't have it and can't get it in time, butter will do in a pinch. I will use chicken fat, too, for a chicken pot pie, but it is a very soft fat and the crust is not as tender and flaky, but has a nice flavor.

Mmmmm.....we are getting snowed in tomorrow, and as long as we have electricity, I might have to make a pie, too! Soup on the woodstove if the power goes out!

eta: OK, confession time, I admit I have made pie crust with saved bacon fat in the past. It is pig fat, with all the chemicals in commercial bacon....pick your poison, I say, eat as healthy as you can 99.9% of the time and don't fret about an occasional straying! (except for trans/hydrogenated fats and artificial sweeteners...not a molecule passes my lips after all the nutrition conferences and lectures I've attended over the years!)

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ok pork fat I have. :D Oh, snow I wish I had some. Were heading back towards another heat wave. I know I should not complain but I like SOME snow. My gardens and trees really need the water. Good luck tomorrow. Enjoy the soup.

Good for you avoiding the bad stuff. Do you avoid all artificial sweeteners or just the aspartame? How about white sugar? I prefer honey or some agave once in a while. We should start a thread tomorrow with healthy alternative substitutions for baking..

shortening ---- preferred fats
white sugar---- brown, honey
etc.....
It would b very informative.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Tanks...the PC smiley is smack dab in the middle of the smiley group....just gotta look for it!