Do you like natural beauty and wonder?

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm big on natural beauty, and most of my friends up here in BC Canada also love nature's wonders.

Someone sent this to me this morning. Don't know if you would have seen it yet... but possibly I'm behind many others on this one.;)

Check this video... it's well worth a click! http://vimeo.com/31158841

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I don't like starlings, but that's a really neat video!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
That was most beautiful! Thank you, Joel, for posting that....it was awe-inspiring! I, personally, would have left the music off the video as I felt it detracted from the incredible formations and flights of these birds.

Theo

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I've seen flocks of birds do this ... is it only starlings? It's amazing. The last time I saw it I was driving on a busy highway. People pulled over and stopped to watch it.

In the film, I thought the fleeting natural phenomenon might be the way the color drained out of the clouds at sunset ... that was beautiful too.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'll see large flocks of birds, grackles, starlings, red winged blackbirds and cowbirds, see them flying, but never quite like this.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
I'll see large flocks of birds, grackles, starlings, red winged blackbirds and cowbirds, see them flying, but never quite like this.
Yeah, I've seen big flocks too. But this phenom in the vid, is something pretty special. :D

We've got herons, ducks, geese, swans, and lots of songbirds and such, around my place. Also, racoons, deer, elk, bear, coyotes, bobcats, cougars... a lot of wildlife. You'd think I might feel jaded, but... yeah, Wow!!!

Up close and personal, starlings are a drag, in my experience. True, their plumage, which just looks black from a distance, is multi-colored and beautiful when you're up close. But they're kinda noisy, and they displace other nesting birds, like barn swallows. I can relate to a number of points of view about these birds.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I had a mini version of that in my horse field the other day...then they hit the backyard. finally ended up in the treeline making a heck of a racket.
Nicole said, what is all that noise, I said starlings LOL

I bet those canoers got pooped on at some point :lol:

very cool to see the big flocks and their flying patterns

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
I had a mini version of that in my horse field the other day...then they hit the backyard. finally ended up in the treeline making a heck of a racket.
Nicole said, what is all that noise, I said starlings LOL

very cool to see the big flocks and their flying patterns
Great that you saw a flock like that, even if smaller, out in your field.

I was out cross-country skiing today, up in the general area (along a river) where we see the swans - sometimes 50-80 at a time. But they're placid birds who paddle in groups on the water. Peaceful beauty. You don't see big flocks of flying swans up here... tend to see larger flocks of flying geese, actually.

But still, as a flying pattern of breathtaking beauty, none of them compare to what was captured in that vid in the OP.:clap