Do you save your bacon fat?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
And if so--what do you use it for? I have rcently ben saving mine, and even though we don't at alot of bacon, I have a pickl jar full of it. I do use a dab of it when cooking eggs, or frying rice, but what all can you do with it?

I know my grandfather--having survived world wars, used to "butter" his bread with it, but I won't be doing that. Any ideas?

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Yes, actually. I never did until I got a recipe for corn fritters on the hillbilly housewife. The fritters are fried in bacon grease, and it really makes all the difference in their flavor! I have to freeze mine, though. I use it so infrequently that it actually molded in my fridge!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Ewww!! How long did that take? Curious--b/c mins bn in there for a few months. I just added to it yesterday.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hmmm, a thought. Do you make home made bread? Not in a machine? My mothers bread recipe calls for shortening. I wonder if you could use that instead. I think it would make wonderful bread if it did.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I just put a batch in the bread maker, but I used butter. Maybe I'll try that next time, thanks!

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I save mine. You mean the grease that is left over after frying bacon, right?

It makes a good seasoning for vegetables. For example if you would put a little butter or olive oil in your green beans or corn, add bacon grease instead.

Stirfrying veggies

pan frying anything (pancakes, salmon patties, eggs) where you need a little grease in the pan to prevent sticking.

I have never tried it on bread. That doesn't sound great... but I wonder how it would be spread on hot cornbread. Hmm... I am intrigued. I may try it on hot baked potatoes instead of butter.

I have lately been using it to grease my waffle iron before using it. Until recently, I'd use cooking spray for that. But I've quit using the stuff--deciding it was a recent invention that is really an unnecessary expense.

To save mine, I put a wire strainer on top of my grease jar, put a coffee filter inside the strainer and strain the grease through the coffee filter. It makes for a really clear and creamy fat. (Yes it looks creamy!) Then you can use the greasy coffee filter for greasing up pans or waffle irons. Cover with a lid and store in the fridge.

What I would really like to know... (yelling) PAT!!!!!!!!!!! ... is at what temperature bacon grease starts to burn, and therefore if it could be used for deep frying--hush puppies or corn fritters, etc.

ETA: By clear, I din't mean transparent. I mean free of debris. LOL Also, use it for cooking dried beans. It has never occured to me that it's even possible to cook dry beans without adding a big dollop of bacon grease. But since no one else has mentioned it, I guess I was wrong. :lol:

Cassandra

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Yep....I save mine.

I use it for all kinds of things, frying potatoes, sauteeing veggies for any dish that needs a flavor pick up, stuffed mushrooms (rarely make those!) sauteed onions and peppers for refried beans.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
The other night, we had apple pancakes and bacon for supper (dh is on nights). I used the bacon fat to cook the pancakes, but it seemed to smoke really quickly.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes, I have a container in the freezer I just keep adding and using from. I use it where I want a hint of bacon flavor, such as frying eggs or refried beans etc. I do not use a lot, but do save it. I have also found I do not like some of the cheaper bacon brands grease, it had an off flavor to me.