1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Solutions for a pecker - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Do you school/homeschool year round?

Discussion in 'Family Life' started by mrscoyote, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Mar 17, 2012
    mrscoyote

mrscoyote Almost Self-Reliant

We do. I have found we get to bored taking 3 months off. I prefer to spread out the days off throughout the year.

2. Mar 17, 2012
    Mattemma

Mattemma Lovin' The Homestead

I did when the kids where schooled at home.It worked out far better to just do our own thing when we wanted. I miss it!

3. Mar 17, 2012
    Mart

Mart Power Conserver

Yes, homeschooling has no schedule in my home. It takes the rhythm of the seasons and the work load. Kids learn all day long. When it feels right, we sit down and do theory. They don't really know what weekends are actually.

4. Mar 17, 2012
    rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Almost Self-Reliant

I do. I have a job, so school is when I am available or otherwise home. It is a little difficult when the public school kids get home on the bus because they come over to my house.......I got farm chores, childcare and I don't get off of work til noon, then no sooner I start, that we get invaded. So when we really want quiet and catch up time, we go to the library.

5. Mar 17, 2012
    rebecca100

rebecca100 Almost Self-Reliant

We go all year too.

6. Mar 17, 2012
    mandieg4

mandieg4 Lovin' The Homestead

This is our first year homeschooling but the plan is to go year round. We only do school work 4 days a week because of my work schedule, so the kids have plenty of down time. We also took all of December off. Besides, summers here in Georgia are too dang hot to be outside so we might as well do school work inside.

7. Mar 17, 2012
    SSDreamin

SSDreamin Almost Self-Reliant

We do, although not full time. I find that one or two days per week in the Summer prevents having to review anything once we start back to a full schedule.

8. Mar 21, 2012
    lorihadams

lorihadams Always doing laundry

We kind of took a break from anything organized over the summer...more unschooling and learning about stuff as it came. We read a lot over the summer and still go to the library every week and tend to be outside more so we take nature walks and observe and talk about stuff a lot. Rainy days we do stuff on the computer and play games and such but then again that tends to be what we do normally....We just don't make it as obvious...like here's some math exercises or let's practice our writing now. We do more verbal stuff.

9. Mar 21, 2012
    rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Almost Self-Reliant

I like to turn in grades every few weeks for the end of a quarter (sorta like 9 weeks)....but even when I fall slightly behind, I don't stress it too much. We have animals to tend and gardens to work and plant and the kids are right there with us, so one way or the other, they are learning. And sometimes learning things they would have NEVER gotten in public or even Catholic school. They are able to pretty much know as much in some areas as their counter parts in public, plus more (the things that have been subtracted from the history books for example), and if we really need to, a school day can be done in just a few hours and the rest of the day is our own.

10. Feb 21, 2013
    Blaundee

Blaundee Power Conserver

We did not do math or English during the summer. Everything else was incorporated into our normal life so we continued with it- reading, writing, science, etc.