Documentaries?

BrandedX

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I love documentary film.

Especially on topics such as survival, earth stewardship, climate change, etc.

My all-time favorite is Dick Proenneke's Alone in The Wilderness. That man was UH-MAZE-ING! This short film was the catalyst that set me on the road I now endeavor to walk.

Other favorites include, of course An Inconvenient Truth, Food Inc., and a series of short videos from Naked into the Wilderness.

Anybody else have any must-shares?

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I liked Frontier House, done by PBS in 2001. It was like......really rude awakening for some of the families....especially one of them.

luvinlife offthegrid

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
BrandedX said:
I love documentary film.

Especially on topics such as survival, earth stewardship, climate change, etc.

My all-time favorite is Dick Proenneke's Alone in The Wilderness. That man was UH-MAZE-ING! This short film was the catalyst that set me on the road I now endeavor to walk.

Other favorites include, of course An Inconvenient Truth, Food Inc., and a series of short videos from Naked into the Wilderness.

Anybody else have any must-shares?
I LOVE Alone in the Wilderness! Isn't there a part 2 now? I have seen Food, Inc, Botany of Desire, and a few others. I like Guns, Germs, and Steel, and DIRT: The Movie. I pretty much watch any documentary on PBS I can get my "eyes" on. I like Independent Lens too, you never know WHAT you'll see on that. Once we watched a show on Oakie "noodlin'", a show about popcorn sutton and his last batch with his still, lots of stuff about life in other countries. Such good shows!

I also liked Frontier House, I thought that was really interesting.

Off to add stuff to my netflix queue...

devans

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
PBS stuff is brilliant, I especially like the "Frontline" series, but it's more of a investigative report sort of program. Still great though.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea I am into those types of shows/docs also.

I like Nova also. just saw one on mammoths and all that....just so interesting.

survival shows are mostly good also.

BrandedX

Power Conserver
Reaction score
fair weather chicken - Watched it, at your recommendation. I enjoyed it a lot and agree with your assessment. It definitely left me with more of a determined resolve rather than inducing a sense of dread. Thanks!

rhoda_bruce - I also watched this after your recommendation. Overall, I really enjoyed it and managed to even learn a few new things that I plan to try out someday. I have to admit that I was kind of put-off by the 'catty-ness' and the overall lack of respect for the project by that certain person. he would ahve been been better off leaving his family at the mall and going on a safari. Nick and his father were the only sane people on the show I believe. :)

luvinlife - I totally didn't know there another AITW!!! Just searched and found out that there are 4 films about him! These are my next vids to watch ASAP. Thanks for the tip! I've seen Food Inc. and DIRT, but I'll look up the other stuff you mentioned too. I'm not too fond of oil/energy pieces, nor religious/cultural as I get my fill of that stuff everyday on NPR. I used to love Wild Kingdom and Nature as a young boy, but now with my youngest daughter being hellbent on zoology, I watch more Animal Planet shows than it seems there is time in the day for. :lol:

Joel - i also just recently watch Garbage Warrior though I've been familiar with earthships for awhile. This is the sort of home I'd ideally like to build.

Honestly, I don't 'get control' of the television often at all anymore. 90% of my watching is done online or dvds. One good thing about being a docu-hound is that there are plenty of legal streaming sites out there. :)