Does anyone here raise/breed meat rabbits?

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Hey Morel--check out this site on colony raising rabbits. I haven't read tho whole thing through yet, but it looks informative.

http://www.blackmesaranchonline.com/animals/rabbits.htm
Encouraging site North, thanks! IF I do this...and still not sure...that is how I was thinking of trying. I will keep the buck separate and just put the does in with him to be bred when required. The kijiji ad is an aquaintace of mine...she breeds all kinds of different rabbits and always has a steady stream coming out of there. She uses heat lamps to keep the waterers thawed from what I have seen when I have been there...but I wasn't really paying that close of attention. Her rabbits are all in cages with drop pans underneath and she keeps silkies in there on the floor along with them. She is where I always get my silkies from:>) They have a huge farm that lady doesn't stop from morning till night...self sufficient is definitely her...they process all thier own cattle and have a vegie garden there that feeds them all winter as well. I wish I was more like that!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I know what you mean Morel. I wish I could be more SS also. But I find it so hard to take on truly living off the land and giving up the rest of the world..LOL...I want SS bad, but I love the other parts of my life also....kinda a catch 22.

For me to be true SS and live off land and raise my own everything, I feel like I would have to give up alot that I don't want to.

I don't know..does that make sense..HA HA

Remember also, taking on bunnies is work. Nothing but work but rewarding if it is a project you truly want to tackle.

Also buying some meat rabbits young, and just raising a few in cages to eat is easier than breeding etc. And buying young rabbits also means you are supporting another local farmer.

You could buy a few young'ins in early early spring and raise until winter and process. that way you avoid the winter months.

So don't rush. Decide which situation fits your life best. I know right now I can not take on any more animals ever..LOL..I am animal'd out..HA HA

just rambling and chatting...fun to talk about new projects!