Dog-oozy swollen eye

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My dog has one eye that is a little swollen with some clear liquid coming out. It's NOT bad enough to warrant a vet visit yet ( and frankly I'm hoping it never gets there. I can ill afford that right now)

I did some warm compresses which seemed to feel good. She leaned into them and did her happy grunt thing. Is there any other self help I'm not thinking of?

(I will go to the vet if it gets lots and lots worse)

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have bacitracin and neosporin. Surely it's not ok to put that in the eye is it?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
no don't be putting stuff in the eye unless you are sure it is OK

check the eye. anything in there? Open the lids and check up and down and all. Might be a big old hair in there.

Or she got her eye poked and it is just weeping and swollen.

Or she might have in-grown eyelashes and those are painful. See if her lid at any point along the lash line is turned in......cause some of my goats are born like that and I have to have the vet actually cut the lashline, sew it outside to turn the lashes out. Usually this "just" doesn't happen but worth a look.

hope some of that helps.

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks FarmerChick and MorelCabin. She is looking a little better today. DH said she got into a little scuffle with the cat, so I'm guessing that is the problem.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
glad it is better

doctor on the cut if you see one cause we all know cat bites and scratches are nasty bacteria type things.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't know if it is ok to put in a dog's eyes but my pediatrician had me put neosporin in my kids eyes when they had pink eye, at night before bed. Worked like a charm. He said to just ignore where it says on the tube not to put in eyes.

On the other hand, colloidal silver has cleaned up many an eye infection around here. just flush the eye once a day. If its really bad twice a day. I've used it on my dog as well as people.

all you folks into survival should have your own colloidal silver maker.
I have one called silverpuppy. do a search and you will find it. Silvergen is also good. It has much more than paid for itself over the past 5 years.

Latest posts