Dog poo

CJ1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think it was on this forum that we got to discussing using dog poo for fertilizer. Someone said that it's not advisable to use. So I took it at face value. But got to wondering why.

So I got to looking and it seems that while it does make great fertilizer there are several parasites that do transfer to humans. I think we all knew that. But I didn't even think of it as a reason not to garden with it.

However composting it does kill these parasites.

So I'm gonna give it a go. My compost pile has gone cold and slimy anyway. Ran out of dead material to add to it. I'll let ya know how it goes.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
s any poo less gross than any other?
Well... just my opinion...but the poo from meat eaters is GROSSIER (a word, right) than the poo from grass/forage eaters. I will pick up horse/goat poo with my bare hands - but I'm not going to pick up dog poo! :sick

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I use dog poo.......I put it in the holes the dogs dig and they don't dog there. They just start new ones. :barnie

CJ1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well after a bit there won't be anywhere that doesn't have poo.

I've only had problems with my pups digging when they were bored. Or hot and found it find someplace to get out of the heat.

Baby poo is the only poo that ever bothered me. That thick let moist tar like black poo. Or the green stuff that migrates up their back if youndont change them right away.

It wasn't the financial burden or not finshinging school that kept me away from teenage pregnancy. It was the poo.

I'm a horrible woman aren't I?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So, it works? I've heard that and have been tempted to try it. I keep scooping the dirt back in the hole, and she keeps digging it back out. Silly dog!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes, poo in the hole will deter digging. The dogs don't like it any more than we do.

CJ1 I was a late bloomer on the baby issue too. I had my son at age 27, my daughter at age 31. I just didn't want to stop my life to have kids. It wasn't the poo, it was the party. But I'll tell you what, I sure appreciated my babies more because I was ready to settle down, stay home and dedicate myself to my babies. The only blip on the radar as far as age, timeline and when to have babies was when my sister turned 40 and her kids were grown and GONE. It took me another 10 years.

CJ1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I hope that everyone knows that was a tongue in cheek comment about the baby poo.

I do want babies. Lots of babies. But I wanna be all set up and stable first. My mom and dad started very young. And it's true that I was out of the house by the time they were in their thirties, the early part of parenthood was very tough for them. So I think I'd rather have kids in the home well into my fifties and be stable.

It's working out so far. And baring any unexpected pregnancies I'd like to wait another six or seven years to have babies.

To each their own though.