Domestic water supply options?

PNW_Steve

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hello All,

I am considering my options for my household water supply. I am currently hauling water. Ok for the short term but not a permanent solution.

Being in the PNW rainwater collection is an option. I also have a large creek that I can pump from as well as ground water at about 5'. Unfortunately I also have neighbors with septic systems nearby.

I am looking at a slow sand filter and, if needed, light chlorination. I need to decide which is the best source of the three:

Rainwater, creek or shallow well?

Any suggestions as to the best source would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Steve

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
PNW_Steve said:
Anyone?

I would start with the shallow well. Smell is the first test if it smells like sewerage it might test pathogen free but who would want to use it with the smell? Activated carbon filters can help with the smell but is not great at removing pathogens. Stream is a bet it tends to clean itself as it flows. Have water tested for toxic chemicals and pathogens. Collected rain depends on the material suspended in the air the water washes it out. Sorry but there are no easy answers.~gd

PNW_Steve

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks gd,

I ruled out the shallow well when I found out that my nearest neighbor's drainfield is very near, if not on, my property.

The folks that built the home next door owned both lots at the time and built septic, decks and landscape features without regard to the idea that the lots may sell separately in the future.

I have installed rainwater cachement and that has helped but doesn't meet all of our water needs so I am still hauling water. Just not as much.

I am now working on a method to pump out of the creek. I have questions regarding pump application/options.

PNW_Steve

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
The creek level varies significantly depending on season/weather. In the Summer time the water is 5'-6' deep. In November of 2015 we had a particularly rainy stretch and the water was around 30' deep.

My home is roughly 40' higher than the Summer water level.

If I am going to pump out of the creek I need to use a submersible pump or use a pump that will tolerate a suction lift of 25'+ and an output lift of 15'+.

When the creek level is at its highest I don't need to pump from it. If it rains enough to bring the creek level up then I am also collecting LOTS of rainwater.

I prefer the idea of havi

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I had to, regretfully, scotch the idea of using water from our river in an emergency. In the summer, we tend to get a lot of blue-green algae growing in the lake and river; then we have the danger of toxins from the algae (similar to a red tide, but different animal). Activated charcoal can filter out some of it, but I would worry that it didn't filter out enough. This stuff damages the liver, and I'm told it's a painful way to die. Luckily, it's only present in surface water, so our deep well is pretty safe. We are looking at buying a manual pump to augment the electric pump.

PNW_Steve

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I had to, regretfully, scotch the idea of using water from our river in an emergency. In the summer, we tend to get a lot of blue-green algae growing in the lake and river; then we have the danger of toxins from the algae (similar to a red tide, but different animal). Activated charcoal can filter out some of it, but I would worry that it didn't filter out enough. This stuff damages the liver, and I'm told it's a painful way to die. Luckily, it's only present in surface water, so our deep well is pretty safe. We are looking at buying a manual pump to augment the electric pump.

I wish a deep well was an option for us. Unfortunately it is not permitted.

The good news is that our creek is quite fast moving, cool and clear in the summer.

Latest posts