Dr Oz exposes what's in factory chicken!

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
it's on right now, but i'm sure it'll be available on youtube or hulu soon. he's talking about all the antibiotics, organic forms of arsenic, cramped living...

he even had some clips from Food, Inc (including Salatin's free-ranging egg layers)!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I hate Dr. Oz as a rule, but this is a good topic. Glad he aired it.

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes indeed, and after you've had real, homegrown chicken--it gags me to eat store-bought chicken anymore--just can't bring myself to do it! I like Dr. Oz, myself. :cool:

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Dr Oz only speaks the truth half the time.... he cannot be fully trusted... not that he does it deliberately, I don't know... he's just another media dimwit and he will never be able to speak the truth on media that is funded by the pharmaceutical companies.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't watch his show but I did take a tour of the local big egg farm (aka prison for chickens) and the stench and squalor of the farm turned me into a chicken farmer for sure-my brownie troop wanted to know where eggs come from and I decided to take a tour and was just sickened by the conditions that they kept the birds--they have over 9 big houses with about 250,000 birds in each! And let's not forget that they have many more houses for raising the pullets to egg laying stage, they ground up the male birds as no one wanted them around here. Even tho it was obvious that they were cleaning 24/7 you almost had to wear a gas mask to go in. The hens were crammed two to three to a cage (2' by 2') and debeaked Cruel and inhuman and I decided to raise my own and have ever since.
As a race/people WE SHOULD KNOW BETTER BY NOW! (sorry still irks me to this day)

The day my new Son in laws little brother came out with me to the coop to get eggs and check on the water and came into the coop and looked in shock and said to me " Wow, your chickens don't stink!" told me that I was doing the right thing-- apparently he occasionally goes to work with his uncle who picks up eggs at a big egg farm. Poor boy didn't realize that chickens do not have to stink and be crammed into little boxes and never see the sun to lay eggs..

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
My husband serviced a payphone in a Tyson plant once.....never bought commercial chicken again. Nuf said.

Everytime we pass a tyson truck loaded with chickens my kids say "awww poor chickens". They've seen how good ours have it and know that that is not humane.

When my husband informed people how chickens are processed in the Tyson plant we've had several people convert. :sick

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
lorihadams said:
My husband serviced a payphone in a Tyson plant once.....never bought commercial chicken again. Nuf said.
We had a friend do electrical work in a chicken processing plant. They had 2 buckets of "goo" for 1 bucket of chicken meat. The "goo" was chicken skins, and all was ground up for chicken nuggets. He says he will never eat processed chicken again!

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I hate Dr. Oz as a rule, but this is a good topic. Glad he aired it.
me too. i never would have known except that i saw a commercial for it while i was catching up on the news coverage of the bullying at Rutgers.

Mackay said:
Dr Oz only speaks the truth half the time.... he cannot be fully trusted... not that he does it deliberately, I don't know... he's just another media dimwit and he will never be able to speak the truth on media that is funded by the pharmaceutical companies.
i agree. but so many people do believe in him and avidly watch his show... people who probably aren't getting the message anywhere else. i'm just hoping that a whole ton of suburbanites saw that and are now thinking critically about their food.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Exactly. The way I look at it even a broken clock is right twice a day. Dr Oz was bound to get something right eventually :gig