Dr. said son needs to gain weight....suggestions?

Jen-pi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I took him in for a sinus infection. The Dr. said that he is underweight. I have to agree with him, he is a boney little thing. He is 10yo and weighs about 65 pounds. The thing is, I dont feed him crap. He doesnt get McDonalds, candy or much junk food. His favorite foods are meat, and fruit.
I was thinking maybe some Ensure mixed with vanilla ice cream for a shake? I would like something more natural though.

Any suggestions?

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Jen-pi said:
I took him in for a sinus infection. The Dr. said that he is underweight. I have to agree with him, he is a boney little thing. He is 10yo and weighs about 65 pounds. The thing is, I dont feed him crap. He doesnt get McDonalds, candy or much junk food. His favorite foods are meat, and fruit.
I was thinking maybe some Ensure mixed with vanilla ice cream for a shake? I would like something more natural though.

Any suggestions?
Nix the Ensure. Ever read the ingredients?
My dad has succesfully used the following recipe daily, to gain weight per drs orders. It brought him up to a weight that is appropriate to his height.

1 banana ( fresh or frozen)
2 raw eggs ( not commercial)
1 cup of raw whole milk
Frozen berries or cocoa
Cin. to taste

Blend and enjoy.

Also, one thing to note, is that todays weight guidlines follow that of the child who eats SAD and was formula fed as an infant.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Feed the boy lots of REAL butter and cream products. It's easy to make if you have access to raw milk, or even storebought heavy cream.

Jen-pi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Also, one thing to note, is that todays weight guidlines follow that of the child who eats SAD and was formula fed as an infant.
What does that mean exactly?

Raw eggs? What exactly is everyone afraid of with the raw eggs? Is it salmonilla (sp?)

Jen-pi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Feed the boy lots of REAL butter and cream products. It's easy to make if you have access to raw milk, or even storebought heavy cream.
I cant wait to get the fencing done in the spring so I can get a couple goats!
For the time being, I have a neighbor farmer down the road who may let me dunk a jug in his bulk tank.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Jen-pi said:
I cant wait to get the fencing done in the spring so I can get a couple goats!
For the time being, I have a neighbor farmer down the road who may let me dunk a jug in his bulk tank.
If the neighbor can't/won't supply you, I recently found out that the storebought stuff makes pretty good butter and buttermilk as well. Not as good, but in a pinch...well we use it because I don't have my milk goat yet either.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
You want to put some weight on the boy, send him to live with us for a month. The Wife and I can gain weight just WATCHING someone else eat. Heck, I gain weight when the neighbor opens a box of cookies!!
I think there is a calorie magnet in this house somewhere..... :gig

Jen-pi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You want to put some weight on the boy, send him to live with us for a month. The Wife and I can gain weight just WATCHING someone else eat. Heck, I gain weight when the neighbor opens a box of cookies!!
I think there is a calorie magnet in this house somewhere.....
Here too! Just not on the little one! Even the Beagles are plump!

I dont know, I will try the raw milk. We eat LOTS of butter now. He is just one of those kids that eats to live, not lives to eat.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Jen-pi said:
What does that mean exactly?

Raw eggs? What exactly is everyone afraid of with the raw eggs? Is it salmonilla (sp?)
The newer standards for average weight in infants and children reflects the higher weight of formula fed babies, as opposed to breastfed babies.
A baby that is fed formula will actually eat more, because no matter what anyone says, formula cannot give true nutrition.
The baby usually suffers from iron overload, higher then normal blood sugar and an extreme saturated fat deficiency.

Hence, you get a baby that weighs more as opposed to a naturally fed baby.
As they grow, and are introduced to the standard Amaercian Diet, these issues continue and get worse.

If you are going to eat raw eggs, they need to come from chickens that free range and get plenty of sun and exercise with a varied carniverous diet.
A chicken that is confined and is fed only vegetarian grain foods, will give an egg that is deficient in all aspects, and has a higher risk for being contaminated with the wrong bacteria.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
I think there is a calorie magnet in this house somewhere..... :gig
Second---send him here...:lol:

that box of cookies SKR's neighbor opened, it had effects in NC also! :gig

yea just lay in some good fats into his diet.

Tell us, what does he eat in a day???? then we can tell ya what to add easily to increase some cals.

he must be bony but a fast little fellow I bet!

Latest posts