Dreaming...

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I am (im)patiently waiting for our farm to sell so I move back to Ireland, where we stayed for a few months. What I'm hoping to find is a place with enough land for my poultry plans, I'd love a barn of some sort, maybe space for a goat or 3 and a large veggie garden. The minimum space required is 2 acres, though I'm hoping I may get lucky and find something bigger without buying a total wreck!

We lived in the breathtaking West Cork and I'm hoping to find something suitable for sale there in our smallish budget. Prices of properties are dropping like bombs all over Ireland at the moment, which makes me feel optimistic that I'll find the perfect place, but Co Cork seldom throws something out that we can afford. Though I've seen some amazing properties go for a steal further North, Co Leitrim, Co Roscommon, Co Mayo... I just found this beautiful mess of a place in Co Cork, when I checked for new listings and price reductions:

http://www.daft.ie/sales/meendurragha-ballydesmond-mallow-cork/995853/ 9 Acres :drool

O.K. the house needs a few spots of work, but that place has potential written all over it! That price is GOOD for Cork and Mallow is a lovely town, not terribly far from where we lived... Fingers crossed we'll sell this farm soon :fl It is so hard to be patient when you see places like that come up for sale. Though I'd probably take on something in a better condition when the time comes. It is nice to dream :)

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
My dreams and my son is what I live for :)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am a sucker for fixer uppers too. LOL It is in a beautiful setting and yes, it does have a lot of potential!

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Lots of work but it would be worth it in the end. I love a challenge.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
When you fix up a place like that, you end up imbuing it with all your own positive energy and it usually ends up being sooo much nicer than a home someone else fixed. The worst energy is in a home that's been flipped because the owners never felt any love for the home.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Britesea, well said! When the time comes I will probably have to settle for something a bit less ambitious :( But oh, one day, one day... I found another place that looks interesting. The price is good, it comes with less land, though as much as I want and it's in Co Mayo, which was the only part of the country I didn't like much, but it's on my "check this out if the time comes and it's still for sale" list:

http://www.daft.ie/sales/sinolane-kilmovee-mayo/994495/

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's a cute place, love the stacked stone barn!

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
how exciting for you. i hope your place sells soon so you can get on with your plans. i like the first property, especially all the land but i think it would take more time and energy than i have to fix it up. the second is cute and i really like the out buildings. ready made barn and chicken house. shouldn't take as much to fix up the property and you could work on the house to make it just what you want. just know that when your place sells the perfect place will come along for you. keep dreaming kiddo, just remember, someday.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
The first one needs a lot of work and money thrown at it, so I'm enjoying the daydreams while I doubt I'll seriously consider taking something on that scale on with my budget! The Mayo property would get serious consideration if I don't find something similar down South. I've spoken to a fantastic auctioneer/estate agent who is based in Cork, Mary Cotter from Irish Rural Homes, when we were there previously. She is wonderful in that she's not shy to go to a landlord/seller and tell them what her buyers/tenants want and negotiate with them. We considered a rental she had on her books, but we wanted some land, so she pulled out her phone, called the landlord and asked him to throw in an acre with the house. As soon as we have our ducks lined up I'm going to contact her and ask her if she has something for me :fl