Dress weights on different livestock?

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So, I know that bears are 18% less in weight after they are gutted. This, unfortunately, does nothing for me at this point, as none of the three of us got a bear this year. Anyways, I was wondering if we could make a thread of different livestock (or wildlife) weights after being skinned, gutted, etc. Or, even better yet, a weight of the meat from the carcass.

()relics

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I would say boer/meat goats are closer to 50% with some alot more than that....I like to think ours are about 57-60%. Goats, taken in general, may be closer to your stated figure but that would include dairy and miniatures in the figure...At least Thats what I've found.

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'll measure the rabbits next time we do a butchering(Monday/Tuesday). I'll do a before and after measurement. These are NZ/ California mutts at 7 weeks.

I'm interested to see myself.

With the new rabbits I've gotten, I plan to play around a little bit. I plan on taking a litter of rabbits and seperate them into individual cages immediately after weaning. Then giving every rabbit a controlled and identical portion of food and hay, then take the ones that grow the largest and keeping those for breeders.

In theory, this should breed for food efficiency... at least in my own little world it would. LOL