Drop in milk production?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I have had my goat since May, and for the longest time, I was getting 3 1/2 lbs of milk from her each milking. She is now down to 2 1/2 lbs. and has been for about a month. Is this normal? I plan on breeding her this November.

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Most goats only lactate for about 8-10 months and over that period they slowly drop production. There are goats out there that will keep up production for a couple years or more but they don't remain at peak production that whole time.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Sounds pretty normal. If you can get alfalfa in your hay you might get her up a bit, maybe, maybe not. I got a bale of grass/alfalfa mix and fed a couple of flakes to the four does last night since it was raining. This morning, Mya was about to burst! Everyone else was pretty normal. Mya is pretty darn productive, though.

Oh, that reminds me.....(runs off to post in for sale section....)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
All my critters eat grass hay, but for milking time, I feed Caprice oats, boss, and alfalfa cubes. I did just up her alfalfacubes, but no difference yet. As per Bbrooks suggestion, I can't cost effectively give her carrots, so I have not tried that. I was just curious to knw if this was normal, or if I should look at other reasons why lactation was dwindling.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
All my critters eat grass hay, but for milking time, I feed Caprice oats, boss, and alfalfa cubes. I did just up her alfalfacubes, but no difference yet. As per Bbrooks suggestion, I can't cost effectively give her carrots, so I have not tried that. I was just curious to knw if this was normal, or if I should look at other reasons why lactation was dwindling.
Its normal. Colder weather is arriving, and heat cycles are close. Her body is prepping for ovulation.
Mine has slowed a bit too. But I am holding off on breeding for a couple months still.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
My does both slowed a little, one slowed a lot more over the past couple weeks while she was in heat. Now she is back up a little bit. But I'm still only milking once a day now. I actually kind of like it. But it was about six out that they started to drop production. Mine are FFs.

mandieg4

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Both of my cows have dropped production too. The only thing I can think of is the grass quality isn't as good as it has been. They have a roll of hay in the pasture, but they don't seem to be eating much of it. I bought some range cubes today, I'm hoping that is going to help.