Dry Canning

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't dry can my herbs, but I do vacuum seal them in jars. I have a Gamesaver so I bought the jar attachments long ago. Just wish it would work with bail jars. I don't want to risk those jars so no canning at all in them

GettysburgGarden

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We use alot of mhlar bags are o2 absorbers at my place. We buy in bulk too and it really saves in the long run. Speaking of that we need to make a trip to sams and get 50 lbs of pintos pretty soon.
By eating what we actually prep and buying in bulk and on sale, we also aggressively ad coupon match we have over the long run certainly paid for the prepping items we have and the costs of accumulating them. I see pallets of emergency food for sale at prepper sites and think: have you read the fine print and what is actually contained? Each year around mid January canned hams go on sale. Bulk is one approach and then coupons are another, it has to be "legitimately on sale" as an example a lead loss item, where the store is willing to loose on that item to draw you into the store. Bristol Ham when you see it on sale dollar general and with a discount coupon can be had for $2.50. Keep and eye out for canned pineapple for sale as well. So much of the prepper market and survival markets miss the point of "sufficiency" and "sustainability" as if we are nothing more than thoughtless consumers. Can you do a quick dinner of ham, instant mashed potatoes, pineapple, and a canned green bean? Yep.. We of course prefer to grow and freeze our beans.. but again if the store is genuinely putting the item on sale, then buy it. So many sales aren't really sales and are marketing instead. Plan ahead.. simple common sense. Finally know your pantry and rotate, if something is getting close to out-of-date then donate that item and itemize it along with expiration date to a charity, pick a reasonable price that passes the blush test, and if you genuinely bought on sale you do fine. Donate at Thanksgiving and the Holidays when the food bank is in need, and then replenish in Jan/Feb. But our whole purpose was the eat better, eat more nutritious, and as we have to eat, enjoy cooking, canning, and saving some money while at it. I picked up cans at $2.00 of ham last year, got ten of them for $20. It is as much as knowing the market timing and minimal effort as it is anything. Bristol canned ham dollar general.. watch for the sale in Jan/Feb like clockwork.

https://dg.coupons.com/coupons/foods-coupons/

http://www.shopjubileefoods.com/circular.aspx?p=6

Looking at the coupons, I'll take the "free item" and get the apple juice and clementines. Watch for "lead loss" and if they want to give it away for free? Well ok, I'll grab some other items while I'm there. See second link.

Last edited:

GettysburgGarden

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I don't dry can my herbs, but I do vacuum seal them in jars. I have a Gamesaver so I bought the jar attachments long ago. Just wish it would work with bail jars. I don't want to risk those jars so no canning at all in them
Put an ad on craigslist asking for them, you will be amazed at people who have a box and no clue whatsoever.. make sure you pay well below new jar $ or barter something. Yard sales etc.. good luck.. they are out there and available

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Great tips, @GettysburgGarden! Seasonal bargains like your ham is something I noticed here too, mainly with whole frozen turkeys after Xmas. I've seen them go for under €5 a bird at the cheaper supermarkets and I'm talking about nice big birds!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Put an ad on craigslist asking for them, you will be amazed at people who have a box and no clue whatsoever.. make sure you pay well below new jar $ or barter something. Yard sales etc.. good luck.. they are out there and available

People here very much know how to date canning jars. Antiquing is a regional hobby. Most of my jars came from family over on the other side of the mountains.

New jars aren't that expensive. $6-7 for a dozen isn't bad for pints or quarts. Oyster jars (10 oz jars) are about $.50 each. Almost everyone uses those for canning their fish here.