drying egg noodles? will they keep?

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Can you dry out noodles made with egg and then store them just like you would dried pasta bought at the store? I do not have a way to freeze them. Sometimes I have an egg surplus and could make a bunch of noodles to save for later. Does anyone do this?

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well I'll be darned!!! My MIL always froze hers so I just assumed they had to be but in Voluntary Simplicity it says they can be completely dried and stored in an air tight container.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I dry and store mine in a jar on the shelf all the time with great results. Yum.....I'm out and need some more. I'm gonna try some kamut I bought and ground for that experiment, to see if it is different from the hard red wheat noodles, which are a bit fragile when dried.

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I guess I've never used any other flour except all-purpose. I assume you just dry the noodles out as dry as they'll get, then pack them up? How long do they keep?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yes, I dry them on those stacking cooling racks for cookies overnight. Don't make them in damp weather if you want to dry them. Some people dry them on a broom handle or pole set over the backs of two chairs, but I have two cats and a dog and that would not work here!

I break them up (gasp!) into bite-size pieces and put them in a large glass jar the next day. Not as pretty on the plate, but I can get more into the jar that way. You don't have to break them, I just do.

They never last that long in my house. Maybe I've kept them 3-4 weeks? But I love to cook some up in some homemade chicken broth and add a spoonful of Romano cheese. The ultimate comfort food. So whenever dh is working and I am on my own for supper, that is what I will usually have. Mmmmmm......

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Oh, I need to add that they may shrink a bit as they dry, and if they are draped over the racks, some will break. So be sure to set the racks where the noodles will stay clean if they drop off the rack.....I wipe down my ceramic-top stove and set them up there, where the cats never go. At least that is what I like to believe.....