Drying Egg Whites???

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I would love to dry egg whites for my morning smoothie's protein.
They are so pricey at the store and I want to know where mine came from, anyhow.
I am getting a surplus of eggs from my girls and have no idea how to safely dry the whites.
I want to scoop out a measured amount of dried powdered egg white plus have it on hand when they aren't laying.
My dehydrator would allow the whites to seep down between the racks. Parchment paper? Quick dry in the oven without scorching?

Has anyone done this successfully and how?

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just posted this on another thread, but I have NOT done this.
This came off of the tree of liberty website (never heard of just searched for an answer)
I am in NO WAY saying this is safe to do, because the general opinion is it should not be done at home.
Here is what I found, I would run the idea by your local extension office for advice.
"I have been dehydrating my eggs for YEARS (and we haven't died yet!)....Break eggs into a bowl and whisk yolk and white together. Spread this onto a very lightly greased fruit leather tray for a dehydrator. Dehydrate at 145 degrees (this is where the pasturization comes in) for 4-5 HOURS. Finish dehydrating until brittle, cool, and whiz up in a blender to a powder. Vaccum seal and keep opened packages in the fridge. 1 tbsp powder + 1 tbsp water = 1 egg. I use my powdered eggs in the winter especially for baking. I'll hardly ever buy eggs except if we want a few fresh for soft boiled"
Just whisk the yolk and egg together (you can do this in a blender) As to how many eggs to dry on one tray...depends on your dryer. I just pour from the blender but don't make it TOO thick or it will take forever to dry. When I package the dried eggs into the vaccum sealer packages, I usually keep track of how many Tbsp I put in it (say like 12) and I write it on the package so I know how many "eggs" I'll be using.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
sufficientforme said:
I just posted this on another thread, but I have NOT done this.
This came off of the tree of liberty website (never heard of just searched for an answer)
I am in NO WAY saying this is safe to do, because the general opinion is it should not be done at home.
Here is what I found, I would run the idea by your local extension office for advice.
"I have been dehydrating my eggs for YEARS (and we haven't died yet!)....Break eggs into a bowl and whisk yolk and white together. Spread this onto a very lightly greased fruit leather tray for a dehydrator. Dehydrate at 145 degrees (this is where the pasturization comes in) for 4-5 HOURS. Finish dehydrating until brittle, cool, and whiz up in a blender to a powder. Vaccum seal and keep opened packages in the fridge. 1 tbsp powder + 1 tbsp water = 1 egg. I use my powdered eggs in the winter especially for baking. I'll hardly ever buy eggs except if we want a few fresh for soft boiled"
Just whisk the yolk and egg together (you can do this in a blender) As to how many eggs to dry on one tray...depends on your dryer. I just pour from the blender but don't make it TOO thick or it will take forever to dry. When I package the dried eggs into the vaccum sealer packages, I usually keep track of how many Tbsp I put in it (say like 12) and I write it on the package so I know how many "eggs" I'll be using.
Thanks!
I missed that thread. It must be a more common question than I realized.
My DH suggested trying to make those 100 year old eggs with the surplus instead. Eewww!!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
What about freezing it instead? It's safer, and whites freeze pretty well, and you could do it in smoothie-sized batches (say in an icecube tray, or in a ziploc bag so it's all in a thin layer and you just break off whatever size portion you need)

Pat

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
If you have the freezer space, I would freeze since that appliance is going to be running anyway (plus they run more efficiently when full). It is nice to know that they can be dried too. Would adding a little salt help with potential bacterial issues? What about a short nuking before spreading them out on the pan? Or even cooking them first?

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have been freezing them with success, but would like to try this out of curiosity.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
I have this in my files from a Jackie Clay, Backwoods Home Magazine article...

Dehydrating eggs
by Jackie Clay

Is there a safe way to dehydrate eggs when my home supply is over-abundant? Thanks for your shared knowledge and best wishes on your new homestead.
Rhonda Burnaman
Deville, Louisiana

Dear Rhonda,
I wish I was confident of a safe way to home dehydrate eggs. It would make things a lot easier for me. But truthfully, Im leery about doing this.

Carla Emery, in her book Encyclopedia of Country Living, tells of dehydrating eggs by this method: Beat very fresh whole eggs thoroughly (use an egg beater or the equivalent). Pour beaten eggs to make a very thin layer (maximum 1/8") on drying surfaces that have been pre-coated with plastic or foil. In an oven or dryer, dry at about 120 for 24-36 hours. When the egg layer is dry on top and firm all through, peel away the plastic or foil layer, turn the egg layer upside down and dry that side 12-24 hours more. Then break it up and dry it a few more hours. Then turn your dried egg into a powder using a mortar and pestle or a blender. These eggs work fine in baked goods. Make scrambled eggs by combining the powder with an equal amount of water, such as 1/4 c dried egg powder with 1/4 c. water.

Personally, because of the danger of salmonella, I choose to buy freeze-dried egg products and use other methods of keeping my hens eggs. (They will store for four months in a cool place, without refrigeration.)
Jackie

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
On the low carb forums I hang out at, they are quite a few people who eat raw eggs in their morning egg creams. I think the fear of salmonella, THOUGH REAL, is pretty overblown. All those body builders drinking raw egg drinks haven't keeled over :D

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
On the low carb forums I hang out at, they are quite a few people who eat raw eggs in their morning egg creams. I think the fear of salmonella, THOUGH REAL, is pretty overblown. All those body builders drinking raw egg drinks haven't keeled over :D
True, but I think Jackie makes a valid point, not knowing the health conditions of the person asking the question. Plus, she is writing for public consumption and where there is a reader, there is a lawyer waiting to help them sue a public person.... :p

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I agree that blanket statements are not good for everyone. People are individuals and you never know what effects one fine might hurt another.

At your own discretion for your own body is what I say!

Drying egg whites...hmm....never heard of doing it.

But from what I read....I don't think it would be very dangerous. If you keep the conditions controlled, like that other article said, she has been doing it for years? So might be worth a try!

Let us know Sylvie if you try it!