DRYING ROSEMARY

Laureli

Power Conserver
Reaction score
i 'VE been putting cuttings from the rosemary plant in the dehydrator then shaking off the "needles" and putting them in a glass jar. Been thinking to self :/ this feels like a pine tree just a little... are they related? Oh and by the way, hoping that in many months from now, my rosemary is still ok.

also; easy ways to contain parsley once it is dry? I have been cutting the dried leaves off and into a large plastic container labeled "Parsley" from the store.

Thanks.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was planning on storing my herbs in canning jars. As for the dehydrator... Have you tried some of the herbs that were prepped in it? I've always microwaved herbs, but I did notice that my little batch of spearmint in tea was a lot like drinking tea made of hay. I wonder if it's the new nuker, because that thing has some amazing power to it. Also, do the herbs stay nice and green, or do they turn brown in the dehydrator?

ETA: currently, I just use little 4x6" zippy bags for my herbs, but I am only harvesting very small amounts, so it works for me for now. Maybe bags would work well for you... I just like the idea of pretty glass instead of bags...

YogaMama

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I dry mine in a dehydrator, then crush up the little needles in my mortar and pestle, for using in recipes. You could also try drying them like flowers, by hanging them upside down in a closet, till they are dry.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I always dehydrate mine first, because of dirt and such. I got a mortar and pestle over the winter to use :D

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
I was planning on storing my herbs in canning jars. As for the dehydrator... Have you tried some of the herbs that were prepped in it? I've always microwaved herbs, but I did notice that my little batch of spearmint in tea was a lot like drinking tea made of hay. I wonder if it's the new nuker, because that thing has some amazing power to it. Also, do the herbs stay nice and green, or do they turn brown in the dehydrator?

ETA: currently, I just use little 4x6" zippy bags for my herbs, but I am only harvesting very small amounts, so it works for me for now. Maybe bags would work well for you... I just like the idea of pretty glass instead of bags...
IF YOU microwave spearmint you are going to drive off the essential oils that give odor and flavor. In rosemary the flavor is in the resin light heat should leave the resins behind. If you heat/nuke anything badly enough you will lose flavor. the whole thing with herbs is to dry just enough to prevent mold or mildew. For small amounts of anything I place in a PAPER BAG and dry in the refriferator, mine will dry anything (even jerky) if you let the cold dry air get to it. Need I tell you not to try the crisper for drying.
Light will destroy many flavors so I skip the glass for storage unless I know it is safe.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I kind of figured that the microwave is what did it in. Usually it's ok, but the old microwave was akin to an easy bake oven, thus it didn't do as much damage. As for glass, they'd be fine in the cupboards though right?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
I kind of figured that the microwave is what did it in. Usually it's ok, but the old microwave was akin to an easy bake oven, thus it didn't do as much damage. As for glass, they'd be fine in the cupboards though right?
i keep mine in glass, but i use mine so fast it doesn't sit long enough to lose flavor ;) Cupboards would be good, since it is the light that damages the flavors.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My kitchen supply of herbs is kept in - of all things! - recycled spice jars (in a dark cupboard). The larger amounts are in the pantry, mostly in opaque marmalade jars that I have saved over the years.
Rosemary is not related to pine, but there is certainly a whiff of pine in rosemary's aroma.
In my opinion there are some herbs that dry well, and others that don't. The more robust flavors - rosemary, oregano, marjoram, thyme, and some others dry well, and retain their flavor well. Others, like parsley, chives, cilantro, end up tasting of nothing much at all, and I don't bother even trying. Luckily I live in a climate where these herbs (well, maybe not cilantro) do reasonably well in the garden for much of the year.