duck egg question

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
My friend has a little girl that is almost 2 yrs old and has found out that she is allergic to soy and eggs. My ducks have now started laying, finally, and I was wondering if anyone knew if someone with a chicken egg allergy (she gets horrible patchy, eczema like rashes everywhere) could consume duck eggs safely?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Interesting question. Would there be any soy in the feed used to feed the ducks? Or chickens for that matter? I wonder if it might be the soy in the feed that is making her allergic to the eggs. Hmmmm.....

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knew if someone with a chicken egg allergy (she gets horrible patchy, eczema like rashes everywhere) could consume duck eggs safely?
Yes, but not always. The protein in whites of the eggs are different for each bird. Someone who is allergic to chicken eggs might not react to duck eggs or quail eggs.

I have a mild allergy to chicken eggs, but in times of stress I can break out in hives. I haven't had any problems with my duck or quail eggs yet.

If the allergy is severe, I would have the doctor test first.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Usually a person will either be allergic to chicken eggs or duck eggs and not both . . . but you should check with her doctor first! :)

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
hmmmmm.....she is a baker....trying to get a shop going. Right now she's doing cakes out of her house so the egg thing was a real worry but if I can supply her with duck eggs then it will be a win-win situation.

Her daughter got really bad scaly patches on her legs and back that would just not go away.....here's the kicker. None of this started until she got the H1N1 vaccine. Do you think it could have been related?

She could eat anything and then she had a reaction to the vaccine and all this mess started with the allergies. Weird.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Well, flu vaccines are incubated in chicken eggs. I had a flu shot once TOTALLY FORGETTING THIS FACT and had a large burning lump in my arm for 2 weeks!

I don't think the vaccine caused it, it just probably just pushed an already developing allergy along a bit.