Ducks

Mr.Andersson

Power Conserver
Reaction score
What do I need for ducks? I currently have 5 chicken hens, the coop was built for 12, but I lost a few, due to fox or coons.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Ducks are easier. They need shelter from the elements, but nothing extravagant. Mine prefer to stay underneath the back deck most of the time. They need a good water supply, something they can get in and bathe a bit, but again nothing extravagant. Mine have a tote from TSC that is about 6 inches deep and 2x3 feet in size. They're fine with that. They eat basically the same as chickens, but will forage for most if not all of their food if you allow them to. They are generally easy keepers.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
As WBF said, they are much easier. From my experience, hardier and more suited for self reliance. Chickens and ducks make better room mates if you free range, as ducks can be messy or messier depending on you variety. Like she said, water for the ducks. Kiddie pools work, I have never had to use them as we have a small ornamental pond around. Anything else?

Mr.Andersson

Power Conserver
Reaction score
That answers my question. Kiddie pool/pond it is then. What about winters?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Weight down empty pop bottles in the center of the pool/pond(handles for the ice when it freezes over at night), and pick up the ice and refresh during the day. Or keep a heated waterer. Either way works, but they need fresh water daily.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
When we had ducks before, they prefered to use the dog house. Upset the dog when that 'scovie started to lay eggs and went broody! So we had to get him another house.

Mr.Andersson

Power Conserver
Reaction score
The chicks free range, daytime, so I guess I should leave em penned up for a few days when introducing "new" birds? I'm also getting a roo or two, maybe more, from the neighbor, ten doors down, which is about a mile away.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I've never raised ducklings-too messy and I have no place to put them. How long do they need to either be w/their mother or under a heat source?

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I only left mine under the heat lamp for a week. But then it warmed up good and was 85+ degrees outside so I took them out. I brought them back in for a few days till the nights were @70 and they have been fine.

Mr.Andersson

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks to Denin Deb, I now have 8 scovies. Anyone feel free to chime in, Please.

So, I got chick/duck starter, and small feeder and waterer. I plan on keeing the duckling in the xl cat carrier in with the 5 chicken hens. The chickens free range from sunup to sundown. Question is, how long should I keep the ducklings in their cage/ cat carrier?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Edited: oh I plan on keeping them outdoors, the heat lamp is currently off? Reedited, oh low of 60 tonight, looks like heat lamp?