Earthquake in TX...some say could be caused by oil drilling

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
The quake was small at a magnitute of 3.7 and there are often small unnoticable quakes in TX (just found that out!). But some people I know on the inside are saying this one is being blamed on the constant drilling on the "Barnett Shale".

Anyone else hear about this?

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Here is an article that might be of interest, it was dated in early July. There appears to be speculation that there could be a link between increased earthquake activity and oil drilling methods.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,526233,00.html You might find this article interesting too.
There are times I wonder WHO THINKS UP THESE KINDS OF RESPONSES??!! Lord Almighty - can we have some sanity here?

John Breyer, a petroleum geologist and professor at Texas Christian University, said drilling is absolutely not causing the earthquakes.

"It's like the Great Wall of China," he said. "If you pull a brick out of the wall every half-mile, you are not going to affect the stability of the structure."

The mayor said he is open to any answer the city's geologist brings him.

"We are going to find out what's causing them and if it is something that we can deal with, I promise we will deal with it," Reynolds said. "But it's like the dog that chases the car and catches the car: I don't know what you do then."

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We are on the Fayetteville Shale and our town has started having quakes here in AR. Mostly around 2.5's though.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
What do you and your town's folk think about that?

In case anyone cares "Shale" is pronounced "shay-ale" two syllables. I heard that word so often growing up in TX, I assumed it was just Texans pronouncing it wrong. (They love to add syllables to one syllable words all the time!:lol:) I was recently corrected by a geologist when I said "shale"- rhymes with whale.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Almost everybody was against them even coming in, but those who didn't lease were incorporated against their will on the company's terms. Plus we are in a poor area and the three factories that gave us most of our jobs shut down so the money was a real boost ( unfortunately it was mostly to the people who had large acreage and didn't really need the money) . I personally am thinking about moving.......somewhere way away from the new madrid fault line.