Eating locally and/or home grown/produced only?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I read and really enjoyed the book "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life" by Barbara Kingsolver. I got me wondering, if the SHTF, how long could we live and eat locally? Without relying on outside sources of food. If you look at your pantries, your gardens, livestock and what produce the neighbours have to share/swap. Would you be able to survive for a year on only that?

And what products would you "import", if (like in the book) you were allowed a handful of food items now and then?

Right now, I won't get very far, the only food producing farms in this area (within a few miles) being dairy farms and a lone, if huge, corn field. And the property I am renting doesn't allow me more than a few chickens and a container vegetables (which did very well, I must say). Long term, my goal is to be able to grow and produce most of my meat, fruit and vegetables (Ireland's climate and weather permitting - many fruit and veg I like, prefer hotter and dryer climates) and barter for raw milk from one of the numerous dairy farms around here.

How are you all doing food-wise and what are your long term goals?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I hadn't heard of that book. But I know her. I'll have to look into it!?

We are all set on meat, well I guess long term we would need to get a boar rather than borrowing one to continue to have pork. So we have chickens, turkeys and pigs for meat/eggs. And we would raise excess bucklings for meat.

We have a garden that we can get most vegetables from... If I was better at gardening. But we have a better one every year! We also have Apple trees on our property, and wild blackberry and raspberry bushes.

I have goats for milk. I have only milked one so far, but have two doelings so when I have 3 (and in the future one or two more I hope) I will be good on dairy also.

So... I hope to be mostly self sufficient with the exception of flour and things like that. And grain for the animals would be an issue.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am not familiar with this author. I looked the book up on Amazon, and I am able to read the entire book right online for free. (https://www.amazon.com/Animal-Vegetable-Miracle-Year-Food/dp/0060852569). I'm not sure if I can because I am an Amazon Prime Member (?).

This looks like a real interesting book, and would work for most of us if things remain relatively normal, but if the SHTF, it is unrealistic.

The problem if the SHTF and how long you could survive on local food would be determined by many factors. If you lived near a large population center, it would be a very short period of time before those folks ran out of food. They are going to spread out and begin looking for other sources, and they are not going to be too nice about it if they are starving. Once that area is picked clean, they will move out even further, so no one will be immune from those who are desperate. Additionally, you would need to consider what you might need the Grid for to process and save this food...would you have water, electricity, etc.? Corn fields would be ravaged. Dairy cows would be killed off for meat. A person's livestock would not stand a chance against starving people. Unless you have a way to hide them or protect them, your dairy goats won't last long from others. Or, could you become "invisible" to those searching for food? The key to the SHTF is to be prepared before it happens, because once it happens, all bets are off. Having access to gardens, livestock, other farmers, etc. now sounds great, but it probably won't be a reality if the SHTF.

Right now, we probably have about 3 months of stored food (not that prepared garbage you see on those survival sites), but real food. Canned meats, fish, grains, beans, oils, condiments, etc. We also only have enough clean stored water for 1 month, but we also have a state of the art water filter no matter what the water source might be. We have a seed vault with over 5000 seeds sealed in Mylar bags in our freezer, but there is no guarantee we could plant a garden and follow it through to harvest if there were people searching for food who had better means than us for taking it away from us. We do not store all our food in one place. We store it in a number of places in and out of the house, so if the SHTF and someone finds our food, they will think they have found it all.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes my town library has it. I go there every couple weeks (for my daughter) anyway. Excited to read it!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
We have food for today and some stored for winter eating, but that could change in a heartbeat. I don't make long term goals any longer.

I used to ponder on such things but I've since found there are better ways to redeem the time. My life is in God's hands now, so I don't wonder or worry about how long I could last in this or that situation....it's not really up to me or anything I could devise to preserve my life in difficult circumstances and for that I am so incredibly relieved! I can't even fathom trying to depend on my own strength or abilities to weather times that difficult and am so grateful that I no longer have to!

I just live day to day, grow and preserve against the coming winter and that's about it. Basically what folks have been doing since the fall of man. Even in doing that I try not to make plans too far ahead...I'm not even promised tomorrow.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Yes my town library has it. I go there every couple weeks (for my daughter) anyway. Excited to read it!
Enjoy! Apart from the chapter on asparagus it's a really interesting read.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@MoonShadows you made some good points. Feeding the neighbourhood won't get you very far, no. What I was thinking about this morning was say you are unable to get to a grocery store, or fall on hard times and are unable to buy much food for awhile.

Just how reliant are we on grocery stores and other food shops?

And what products would you all choose, if you had a limited number of items you were allowed. Excluding coffee, salt, sugar and chocolate of course. I mean, seriously no-one can live without those :p

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Asparagus huh? My husband hates the stuff!

I think there's a big difference in perspective between being self sufficient and preparing for SHTF. I can't spend all my time worrying for each individual scenario. I keep enough food on hand to be OK as long as I can, but preparedness is not my number one concern or reason for why I do what I do. Like Bee said, we have no guarantee of what will happen. And I don't think you can be prepared for everything.

I could live without chocolate but boy do I get irritable without my coffee! Sugar I could live without, maple sugar isn't hard to make and I'm surrounded by maple trees.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I'm with your husband there, NH Homesteader!

My original thought behind this thread wandered off, as my thoughts tend to do, between how reliant are we on shop-bought food, how much can and do we grow and produce ourselves, should we decide to or involuntarily go without buying food, like Barbara did in her book. Are we too dependant on supermarkets? How self-reliant can we be, if needed? What can we not do without, that we'd like to be able to buy always. Like sugar, coffee, etc….