Edible Mushrooms--Hen of the Woods

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Okay, hope you enjoyed that fine reading.
You know what I think the problem with the link was that you have to have a subscription maybe.
I have subscribed to these newletters and maybe it prohibits the links from working unless you are a subscriber?
I don't know, but you wouldn't believe how long it took me to write that all on a piece of paper and then have to type it all into that post. Whoo, my hands are tired.:lol:

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I hesitate to say this, Natalie, after you did ALL THAT TYPING (!!! =:0 !!!), but the problem seems just to be a broken url. If you remove the line break it works fine (did for me just now anyhow)

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Natu...nefits.aspx?utm_source=iPost&utm_medium=email

Might be worth checking if it ever happens again ;), before pulling out those secretarial skills (and man that must have taken you a long time! thanks for the effort)

Pat

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
NOW YOU TELL ME!!

No problem Pat thank goodness it was only 5 pages and it was for a good cause!!
Wow, a broken link huh? I thought it might have been that you needed a subscription and then I laid awake all night wondering if I gave out contraband information.:lol:
Thanks again.:)

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Ah, yes, Fungi Perfecti. They are local to my area. We ordered a garden mix of mycelia from them that you can apparently grow in the compost pile. I have yet to get it started, but we are hoping to get to it soon. There are three edible mushroom varieties in the mix and they are supposed to be beneficial in the veggie garden too. Worth experimenting with, I think.

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Let us know how it works out, I have been toying with the idea myself. I have that same catalog and I was thinking of getting the mushroom growing log to teach the kids about it.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I will let you know, but I wonder how long it takes until you get mushrooms?

I've been wanting to grow some for a while now and this just seemed easier than bags of sawdust or logs (aren't you supposed to boil the logs to sterilize them?). Growing mushrooms in the garden seemed like a more manageable task to me.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
The mushroom varieties you can grow in compost do sound interesting. I was thinking I might even be able to mount a couple of planters in the covered portion of the duck shed and try growing them near the source of my compost :D (but out of reach of busy bills of course)